Rare vinyl-only remixes

hmm, looks like they have unofficial CDs on ebay that look pretty professional. Pricey but I’ll eventually grab them.

Flaming Embers - Hey Mama,

Interesting. What’s the story with this one? I see it’s co-produced and co-written by (I assume George) Clinton.

Yeah, very nice GC song And production. It’s flac with about 3/4 days left on it… It’s an old fave and a friend sent me a recording of his copy which he thinks sounds like maybe some kind of old “bootleg” but I have always thought it’s a great sounding 7” Otherwise you probably know as much as me.

The cd issue of the O-Zone album this track is taken from sounds like it wasn’t mastered from tape unless maybe you’re talking cassettes. This is the thinnest sounding track on the album, but It’s a big fave and has a strong P’ presence, Maceo, Fred etc.

In the middle of the 60s GC worked with Ed Wingate, who owned the lables Ric-Tic (that Hey Mama was released on) and Golden World. So George did tracks for both them labels.

Again, a little while later (and not knowing where else to post it), here’s a Doctor L rework of Mis America which may have been missed?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Real-Thing/release/1886373

Hey, thanks for that. By the way, it is available on youtube for anyone who wants to hear/grab it.

I haven’t posted an update to the list in a while, but in the past week I discovered Soulseek, and was able to locate a bunch of tracks that have been on my wantlist for months and years - and not just p-funk stuff. These were things I couldn’t find on itunes, couldn’t buy at my dodgy russian mp3 site, couldn’t grab off youtube, couldn’t torrent - nothing. In many cases there were 8-10 people with this file free for sharing, that I couldn’t find a single copy of anywhere else.

On that note, I did find Mixed Nuts, Fresh Tradition, and Hitler’s Brain there, so being that they’re readily available to anyone with the inclination to log onto soulseek, they’re now off the list.

There are a few others that are available, but locked. I may be able to access those down the road by trading or possibly by joining the redacted torrent site.

For the vast majority of tracks with p-funk involvement, we’ve managed to find and/or liberate them as a team over the past year. What’s left on the list is far from essential - it’s just a few random songs GC guested on, edits, remixes of Bootsy songs for which there are already half a dozen remixes, and a cover.

There’s one release to be added to the list, though, and I’d call it highly essential - to me it is, anyway, being that I’ve gone to great lengths to obtain everything Bernie’s ever done on CD (and digitally, as a last resort). But there’s one thing that has no “digital” presence anywhere, and it’s Melodestra:

Tastes may vary, but in my humble opinion, this is the most essential release that we haven’t yet liberated - it’s by arguably the 2nd-most “core” p-funk musician, and it’s three unique new-to-us tracks, plus three mixes. All you can hear from it anywhere is this one preview on soundcloud (which may or may not be an instrumental version not found on the 12", that is unclear - they indicate vocal and instrumental versions of Melodestra on the LP, but not Skip Hop Stumble, but the preview notes it as “INSTR”)

If you like the sound of it, or even if you don’t and you just want to liberate the music and make sure it lives on forever beyond a handful of LPs scattered around the globe (according to discogs, just 20 people have it, including someone named Di77y, who says he’s on these forums and told me he was following the Junie Pieces and When the City threads, and he “thinks” his name here is Dizzy but I’m pretty sure it isn’t), then consider going “halfies” on it with me. There are two copies on Discogs right now advertised as VG condition, that are not very expensive even with shipping. I’d pay half just to have a digital version of the songs, and you can pay half and have the physical version to hold and cherish forever. If this existed on CD, rest assured I’d already have it and I’d have paid up to 3X this price to get it. Digitally, too. Most stuff Bernie released post-2010 is on his bandcamp, but not this, sadly.

Anyone want to go halfies?

As an addendum to my other comment about how essential the rest of these missing tracks are: If we’re keeping score, then I’d have to say the tracks from Da Bomb City Soundtrack are next on the list. They don’t just “feature” GC, they’re “by” GC, and although the additional versions may not be essential listening, there are two unique tracks unheard by anyone here (as far as I know). It’s surprising that these haven’t made it onto the net considering it’s been 22 years, 39 people on discogs say they own it (including @darkerthanblue, who also has volume 2 which contains two remixes no one’s heard), and it’s not rare and expensive (15 copies for sale, as low as 2 bucks). After Melodestra, this would be the next thing to go get and knock a number of rare, locked-away tracks off the list.

After that, probably that Do the Freak (freaky funky delicious remixes) 2X12" set, which contains 4 of the 5 remixes we haven’t gotten, and is not rare or expensive (and which darkerthanblue ALSO has!).

After that, it would be the Dance to the Music 12", which has the three versions of that track we haven’t heard, and again, is not rare and expensive.

Hey @darkerthanblue, would you consider ripping the two Bomb City soundtracks and the Do the Freak 2X12" for us? I’d buy you a copy of the Dance to the Music 12" and have it sent straight to you, as a token of my/our appreciation! (and then you can rip that one too…)

I skimmed through this thread to double check, but you haven’t released/shared this seemingly massive batch of obscure p yet have you? (Don’t take that as me being impatient, I just didn’t want to miss it). Also massive props to everyone who’s contributed to this

nope. got it in a big folder though. It’s 7.6 gigs currently as it’s all the unbastardized, raw stuff that people have sent. (I often cut songs, change volume levels, rename, re-encode, etc, so I don’t want to share that stuff that is specific only to how I want it to look and sound, even if it would be easier) As the size of this folder grows over time, the question of how to easily share it becomes more and more tricky. But I’m sure we’ll figure something out.

2 Likes

including someone named Di77y, who says he’s on these forums and told me he was following the Junie Pieces and When the City threads, and he “thinks” his name here is Dizzy but I’m pretty sure it isn’t

Haha, that would be me.
Guys, I’m sorry, I wanted to spend more time here, but all kinds of things kept me from doing so.
I’ve been an early member here and I truly will do my best to contribute to this forum more often from now on.

I will also check and see what kinds of rips I may contribute. I have only a rather quirky, improvised setup to rip vinyl records which I could get back to work at some point, but that could take some time. CDs aren’t a problem, so I may start there.

Anyway, heard you missed me, well, I’m back (in my Sly Stone voice). :smile:

3 Likes

I’m in the process of setting up my ability to rip vinyl so when i’ve done that, i’ll be sure to add the two Da Bomb City Soundtrack volumes & the Bootsy Do the Freak vinyl remixes (unless anyone else can do it sooner of course) - watch (listen to?) this space!
And thanks for the Melodestra tip - grabbed a copy as soon as i saw you reference it.

Wow, if you can do Melodestra too, then that knocks a TON off the list! Heck, I’ll buy you two items for all this hard work - the Dance to the Music 12" and something else of your choice that’s hopefully mutually beneficial. (though based on my list, nothing jumps out right now)

Happy to add Melodestra too, Seventieslord - all gratis. I have the Gary & Gary 12" too but i’m not sure about ripping it as it is on a small independent label (and as previously stated by another poster, could be considered unethical).

1 Like

Hey Dan, thanks for checking in here. It seems that @darkerthanblue is going to help us with the Do the Freak remixes, both Da Bomb City soundtracks and Melodestra, which will get (checks notes)… 19(!!!) unheard songs and versions out there for the rest of us. You have something even rarer that you could easily help with - Dis is Wut Ya Shudda Had.

I really don’t know what to expect from it, it’s probably not something we’re gonna put on in the car regularly, but if it’s Bernie jamming on the Clavinet and Moog, then it’s worth having and giving a few listens.

Anyway, you’re one of only two people on all of discogs who has it (well, aside from the one person selling it who wants US$100 for it), so if you could rip that one it would be hugely appreciated. Who knows, maybe @Phunklord_Siege can even do something funky with these snippets like he did for the GC discs.

1 Like

14 posts were split to a new topic: Bernie Worrell ‎- Dis Is Wot Ya’ Shudda Had

I had a good day on Soulseek. Found a user called Good2YourEarhole who had a treasure trove of p-funk material. I was able to find many of the tracks listed in this thread as outstanding. I haven’t even listened yet myself, so I can’t vouch for the authenticity or quality (though I have no reason to doubt either). It is on my dropbox for whoever is interested:

2 Likes

This guy has a ton of p-funk bootleg concerts free for the taking, so if anyone wants them, get on Soulseek while he’s still online, and start downloading!

1 Like