Rare vinyl-only remixes

I’m eventually going to purchase about a dozen p-funk/clinton/bootsy CD singles that contain a good deal of remixes and alternate versions that I don’t have on other CDs. However, I notice that in a handful of cases, there are mixes that can only be found on the vinyl versions of these singles.

Is there anyone with a really extensive vinyl single collection who may be interested in ripping those tracks for me (and really, for all of us)? If there is, I’ll eventually post a wantlist of what can only be found on vinyl.

1 Like

I don’t have the equipment for ripping from vinyl. But if I have one of those singles I will check if any of my friends are able to do it.

It would be really interesting to see such a list. Please post it if you compile it! and I will do my best to try to rip it (if I have it) :slight_smile:

These are all the things I’m aware of that only exist on vinyl, that I haven’t been able to find on youtube:

From Shake the Gate (Version Excursion) https://www.discogs.com/Funkadelic-Shake-The-Gate-Version-Excursion/release/7886813

• [Jolene (VRSN3)]
  • [As In (Alternate Mix)]
  • [Road To Nowhere (Get Home To Your Wife)]

From Hollywood Squares: (this technically exists on CD but is just a promo)

• Hollywood Squares (Remix Edit)
  • Hollywood Squares (Remix)

From Axiom Funk Hip - Hop Remixes By [DXT]

• If 6 was 9 (DXT radio edit)
  • If 6 Was Phunky
  • If 6 Minutes was 9 minutes
  • If 6 was 9 (DXT instrumental mix)

From Do the Freak:

• Delicious Funky Dub
  • Delicious in Paris Mix
  • Freak Zone version
  • Smoove freak version
  • Deep Blunt Mix

From Dance to the Music https://www.discogs.com/Bootsy-Collins-Featuring-One-Dance-To-The-Music/release/163025

• Dance to the Music (kneedeep remix)
  • Play with Bootsy (galleon remix)
  • Dance to the Music (Matthias Heilbronn all-star remix)
  • Dance to the Music (instrumental)

From Dreamship Surprise (the CD is extremely rare)

• radio version
  • extended version

From Boots & Wheels

• We Play the Funk (Five Alarm Funk ft. Bootsy)

From Double Oh-Oh

• Double Oh-Oh (mixing parts)

From Hey Good Lookin’

• Hey Good Lookin’ (Marvelous mix)

From Do Fries Go With that Shake https://www.discogs.com/George-Clinton-Do-Fries-Go-With-That-Shake/release/1042849

• Do Fries Go With that Shake (Thick Mix)

From Tweakin’

• Dub mix
  • Hysterical
  • C Mixapella
  • radio edit

From Why Should I Dog U Out:

• [('Datamainbody East Coast Mix?)
  • [(Cars That Go Boom South East Mix)]
  • [(Not To Be Confused With The North West Chill!!! Mix)]

From Hey Man, Smell My Finger

• Scratch and sniff mix
  • 2 Phunky Finger mix
  • Where’s your finger been mix
  • smell my finger mix
  • something stank and I want some - bonus beats

From Summer Swim:

• Collin Wolfe extended remix
  • Remix instrumental
  • Acappella

From If Anybody Gets Funked Up:

• Acappella
  • Colin Wolfe Accapella

That should be all.

You would need someone with a sound card with some sort of input (either RCA or 3.5mm), and probably an app to record whatever is sent through the input. Your best bet is to save it “raw” in .wav files. Save those as your archival copies. People who you share with then have the best first generation lossless rip, and can compress however they prefer. Don’t worry too much about pops and hiss, that’s just part of vinyl and can’t be helped much.

Good luck with whatever you can manage to do.

I got the following from your list. Will see if I can find somebody that can rip them.

Shake the Gate
Hey Good Lookin’ (Marvelous Mix)
Double Oh-Oh (Mixing Parts)
Why Should I Dog U Out
Martial Law (Hey Man, Smell My Finger)
Summer Swim
If Anybody Gets Funked Up (Colin Wolfe Mix Acappella)

I don’t have Do Fries Go With that Shake (Thick Mix), but I’m wondering if it could be the same version that’s on the Extended Pleasure compilation. They both are 10:15 long (here’s another thick mix release with the time printed on the vinyl).

You’re almost certainly right about the thick mix.

I have Extended Pleasure on the way in the mail, and forgot to cross reference these mixes against the contents of that disc.

Best of luck ripping!

I finally got some equipment for ripping them. Will message you when I’ve figured out how to use it. :grin:

I have digitised Bootsy 6 was 9 insane bass!, Never done Hollywood squares,tweaking and the thick mix so have but I don’t have the time or inclination to digitise or figure out easiest way to upload… I usually use Dropbox for storing stuff online and was unsuccessful posting links to some wav files vinyl 12” if you got Funk and cd of Rusha (inst) - Jesse Rae!?! on here so kinda lost interest as I don’t have internet at home. Sorry!!!

silentboatman has been silently working at ripping many vinyl releases. I thought it would be a good idea to post a new list of songs that are still at large.

artist song (version) release format
Bootsy Hollywood Squares (remix) Hollywood Squares promo CD
Bootsy Hollywood Squares (remix) (edit) Hollywood Squares promo CD
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 was 9 (DXT radio edit) Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 Was Phunky Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 Minutes was 9 minutes Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 was 9 (DXT instrumental mix) Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Delicious Funky Dub) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Delicious in Paris Mix) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Freak Zone version) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Smoove freak version) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Deep Blunt Mix) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Dreamship Surprise (radio version) Dreamship Surprise CD single
Bootsy Dreamship Surprise (extended version) Dreamship Surprise CD single
Five Alarm Funk feat. Bootsy We Play the Funk Boots & Wheels vinyl
George Clinton Hey Good Lookin’ (marvelous mix) Hey Good Lookin’ vinyl
George Clinton Tweakin’ (dub mix) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton Tweakin’ (hysterical) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton Tweakin’ (c mixapella) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton Tweakin’ (radio edit) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton Why Should I Dog You Out ('Datamainbody East Coast Mix?) Why Should I Dog You Out vinyl
George Clinton Why Should I Dog You Out ((Cars That Go Boom South East Mix)) Why Should I Dog You Out vinyl
George Clinton Why Should I Dog You Out ((Not To Be Confused With The North West Chill!!! Mix)) Why Should I Dog You Out vinyl
George Clinton If Anybody Gets Funked Up (a cappella) If Anybody Gets Funked Up vinyl
George Clinton If Anybody Gets Funked Up (colin wolfe a cappella) If Anybody Gets Funked Up vinyl

1 Like

Missed one release:

A3 [Play With Bootsy (Galleon Remix)]
B1 [Dance To The Music (Matthias ‘Matty’ Heilbronn All Star Remix)]
B2 [Dance To The Music (Instrumental)]

Never mind the Soul Clap stuff, it’s actually on youtube.

Dug up a few more as well on youtube. Updated list:

artist song (version) release format
Bootsy Hollywood Squares (remix) Hollywood Squares promo CD
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 was 9 (DXT radio edit) Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 Was Phunky Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 Minutes was 9 minutes Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Axiom Funk feat. Bootsy If 6 was 9 (DXT instrumental mix) Hip Hop Remixes By DXT vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Delicious Funky Dub) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Delicious in Paris Mix) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Freak Zone version) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Smoove freak version) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Do the Freak (Deep Blunt Mix) Do the Freak vinyl
Bootsy Dreamship Surprise (extended version) Dreamship Surprise CD single
George Clinton Tweakin’ (dub mix) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton Tweakin’ (hysterical) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton Tweakin’ (c mixapella) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton Tweakin’ (radio edit) Tweakin’ vinyl
George Clinton If Anybody Gets Funked Up (a cappella) If Anybody Gets Funked Up vinyl
Bootsy Play With Bootsy (Galleon remix) Dance To the Music vinyl
Bootsy Dance to the Music (Mattias Heilbronn all-star remix) Dance To the Music vinyl
Bootsy Dance to the Music (Instrumental) Dance To the Music vinyl

I found a 21 minute long video on youtube of someone playing a bootsy Do the Freak 12". The actual 12" is longer than that, so just need to figure out what mixes are in that video and can eliminate 3-4 of those from the wantlist as well.

It’s looking like the Axiom Funk/Bootsy 12", the Tweakin’ 12" and Dance to the Music 12" are the best bang for the buck right now. those three contain 11 of what is likely 17 outstanding tracks after Do the Freak is sorted. And none of them are expensive. I could acquire all three, including shipping, for under $40.

(whoops, I’m sorry, wrong thread. Please move)

If you have the Axiom Funk and Bootsy 12" ripped, then let’s get it online! I’ll do whatever it takes to help you with that.

You can find the Parliaments Sgt Pepper on fb on the following pages.

https://www.facebook.com/funkster.jones/videos/2003249946396496/
https://www.facebook.com/funkster.jones/videos/2003247373063420/

1 Like

current list of outstanding songs:

Having gone through the entire book by @Findagroov, I have managed to hunt down almost the entire list of tracks that didn’t originate on one of the core p-funk albums that I own on CD. However, there were a few that I couldn’t find anywhere. Adding them to the existing list, it becomes quite bloated but I’m confident that we can find all these tracks eventually - especially with the help of Findagroov, who has obviously obtained them physically, or located them for listening online.

Please take a look and see if you can help:

Four songs from the Phillipe Wynne’s album featuring p-funk members do not appear anywhere on the internet. Ditto three Eramus Hall songs.

Da Bomb City soundtrack can’t be found anywhere.

Everything from Original P is quite easy to get, except this Atomic Dawg without rap. Where’s that from? It’s not on my CD.

This Soundscannerz song appears to only by on myspace and can’t be accessed (myspace songs of a certain vintage all have that problem, apparently)

Most of the tracks from the Foley album (which exists on CD) aren’t on the internet anywhere. If the whole CD featured P-funk I’d probably just buy it instead of sampling the few songs that do.

Enemy Squad I bought on Itunes (and will buy on CD if it ever comes up for sale again). But in the meantime, there are two songs that are apparently on the CD according to discogs, that aren’t on the itunes release for whatever reason.

The other 9 newly listed songs are just random obscurities, one-offs.

Hey everyone, I’m late to this party, but I can help with a bunch of things on the list. What’s the goal here? Lots of these things are not vinyl only, so it’s not just about ripping them… Is it about getting obscure stuff online? I see that things have been removed from the list over time, suggesting they are getting online, but I’m not finding them… Is there a central upload place? Anyway, let me know, I have all the Tweakin’ mixes, Philippe Wynne, Erasmus Hall, Bootsy Hollywood Squares remix and Jazz-n-yo-Shiggy Dance Mix, a few other tracks.

You asked about that Original P Atomic Dawg without rap. That showed up on the digital release of the Jump Up In The Air single on all the streaming sites (Amazon, Spotify, etc.) Most of the track names on the digital release are all messed up-- Jump Up In The Air (Hydraulic Pump) Westbound Remix is actually Jump Up In The Air (Hydraulic Pump) Acapella, Jump Up In The Air (Hydraulic Pump) Westbound Remix TV Track is actually Atomic Dawg 2001 Album Version, and Jump Up In The Air (Hydraulic Pump) Acapella is actually Atomic Dawg 2001 w/o rap. I have a 2 x 12" vinyl single of Jump that has everything (except Atomic Dawg w/o rap) under its correct name. It contains a couple of exclusive vinyl-only mixes: the actual second TV track, and Neva Gonna Tell It 2001 Crazy Rave Remix.

I have some other vinyl-only stuff that hasn’t been listed here, not sure how obscure it is. I’ll be back later with a list for anyone who’s interested.

Looks to be a fun forum, I look forward to hanging out here.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for this. This is extremely useful information. I think I’d have figured out that those tracks were mis-named eventually, but you saved me a lot of time and confusion. Also, thanks for pointing out that this release existed digitally. Somehow it slipped my radar. I’ve downloaded it now (minus Atomic Dawg 2001 album version) and will give the tracks their proper names, leaving only two songs from the vinyl outstanding - I’ll add those to the list, for proper accounting.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, the goal is to get obscure stuff online. Selfishly, I want copies of all tracks but that’s beside the point. Anyone should be able to find any p-funk related song online, at least somewhere. I think it’s a tragedy when they can’t. But in the grand scheme of things, this list represents only about 2.4% of what’s out there, so we’re doing quite well.

2. silentboatman has ripped all of the vinyl-exclusive tracks that he/she has access to, and has provided dropbox links to me via PM. They were outstanding rips, in .flac format to satisfy any audiophile (which I am not, which is why I encoded them as 192 kbps mp3s for my own use - I also jacked up the loudness to match most CD mastering levels, but that’s all I had to do). Most of the time you see something fall off the list, it’s because of silentboatman. On a few other occasions I found the tracks when doing a “second sweep” online. In every case I have kept an audio rip of the youtube vid for my own future use.

I’ve actually gone through @Findagroov’s book and searched for every single track that was not on the vast collection of p-funk CDs I own. The last 25 songs on the list represent all the ones I couldn’t get anywhere (still, a remarkably small percentage). It looks like I’m hoarding it all at the moment, but I am planning on getting it all into one place and then sharing it in a dropbox folder to spread it to as many p-funk fans as I can. Some of it can still be easily purchased legally (which I did), so I don’t plan to include that material, but I have no moral qualms with freely distributing mp3s of one-off tracks that can be heard on youtube and/or spotify for free, on demand (from where the listener, with no expertise required, could download for themselves). This really is just for convenience’s sake. For example: You want to make a playlist made up only of 90s hip-hop songs featuring George Clinton? Good luck doing that any other way!

It sounds like once you’re done ripping what you have, this list will be cut nearly in half! When you’ve ripped them, you could do what silentboatman did, and just share them via private message (and then they’ll get out from there), or you could go straight to the masses on youtube. Either way is fine with me, of course.

2 Likes

By the way, what is the point of the TV Tracks? What does that mean? Are they just other remixes?

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes