Rare vinyl-only remixes

including someone named Di77y, who says he’s on these forums and told me he was following the Junie Pieces and When the City threads, and he “thinks” his name here is Dizzy but I’m pretty sure it isn’t

Haha, that would be me.
Guys, I’m sorry, I wanted to spend more time here, but all kinds of things kept me from doing so.
I’ve been an early member here and I truly will do my best to contribute to this forum more often from now on.

I will also check and see what kinds of rips I may contribute. I have only a rather quirky, improvised setup to rip vinyl records which I could get back to work at some point, but that could take some time. CDs aren’t a problem, so I may start there.

Anyway, heard you missed me, well, I’m back (in my Sly Stone voice). :smile:

3 Likes

I’m in the process of setting up my ability to rip vinyl so when i’ve done that, i’ll be sure to add the two Da Bomb City Soundtrack volumes & the Bootsy Do the Freak vinyl remixes (unless anyone else can do it sooner of course) - watch (listen to?) this space!
And thanks for the Melodestra tip - grabbed a copy as soon as i saw you reference it.

Wow, if you can do Melodestra too, then that knocks a TON off the list! Heck, I’ll buy you two items for all this hard work - the Dance to the Music 12" and something else of your choice that’s hopefully mutually beneficial. (though based on my list, nothing jumps out right now)

Happy to add Melodestra too, Seventieslord - all gratis. I have the Gary & Gary 12" too but i’m not sure about ripping it as it is on a small independent label (and as previously stated by another poster, could be considered unethical).

1 Like

Hey Dan, thanks for checking in here. It seems that @darkerthanblue is going to help us with the Do the Freak remixes, both Da Bomb City soundtracks and Melodestra, which will get (checks notes)… 19(!!!) unheard songs and versions out there for the rest of us. You have something even rarer that you could easily help with - Dis is Wut Ya Shudda Had.

I really don’t know what to expect from it, it’s probably not something we’re gonna put on in the car regularly, but if it’s Bernie jamming on the Clavinet and Moog, then it’s worth having and giving a few listens.

Anyway, you’re one of only two people on all of discogs who has it (well, aside from the one person selling it who wants US$100 for it), so if you could rip that one it would be hugely appreciated. Who knows, maybe @Phunklord_Siege can even do something funky with these snippets like he did for the GC discs.

1 Like

14 posts were split to a new topic: Bernie Worrell ‎- Dis Is Wot Ya’ Shudda Had

I had a good day on Soulseek. Found a user called Good2YourEarhole who had a treasure trove of p-funk material. I was able to find many of the tracks listed in this thread as outstanding. I haven’t even listened yet myself, so I can’t vouch for the authenticity or quality (though I have no reason to doubt either). It is on my dropbox for whoever is interested:

2 Likes

This guy has a ton of p-funk bootleg concerts free for the taking, so if anyone wants them, get on Soulseek while he’s still online, and start downloading!

1 Like

And that’s not all - he’s got tons more from Bootsy, Bernie (including many not on archive.org from what I can tell), the 420 funk mob, and more. Folders full of GC, Bernie and Bootsy rarities, too.

I’m in the queue trying to download some of this already, but it wouldn’t hurt to get in there and get your username on the list - if you leave your computer on, one morning you’ll wake up and have the files you asked for (his queue is pretty long)

Damn! I need to get back into soulseek. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, for the common and easy to find stuff, soulseek is pretty much in all you can eat smorgasbord, and when things are even more common you typically have dozens of choices of where you can download it from, you can pick your own format and quality and even the file naming system that you prefer. But a guy like this sharing this kind of material, this is not common. I have not seen him in my few months on soul seek and I don’t know if / when I’ll ever see him again. So I’m not taking any chances.

1 Like

Good2YourEarhole might be on Soulseek to stay. I managed to get over 3GB of goodies from him. I’d share it all here, but that’s a ton of data. Anyone can sign in and get it from him anytime, from the looks of it! Here’s a summary of what I grabbed:

Quazar demos and rehearsals - some demos of existing songs, some new titles, good quality
Another folder of supposed Quazar rehearsals - called The Westbound Recordings, but a few titles are Mutiny songs, so these might be Mutiny demos.
Garry Shider 2007 demos
A few random tracks featuring Garry Shider
A folder full of 90s Bootsy rarities
Remixes of Amp’s So You Wanna Be a Gangster
1990s PFAS “Mammoth Sessions”
1990-2000s prince & GC songs
Bootsy’s 2002 Allstar Funk EP (never heard of this!)
Dance to the Music 12" (featuring two of the “missing” tracks in this thread)
Dreamship Surprise
Funk Brothers - Standing in the Shadow of Motown
Bootsy - Fear Da Tiger & Cincinnati Bengals Tribute
2007-08 PFAS demos
Method of Defiance albums featuring Bernie (might just buy these on CD!)
PFAS “That Doo Doo” (2011 demos)
aleon craft & george clinton - mothership (the decatur connection)
Small folder of songs featuring Mudbone from the past 20 years
2 live Parliaments songs
The Clinton Administration - Take You Higher (guess this has little to do with P-funk)
A folder with 30 Bernie collabs and guest spots
A folder with 30 bootsy collabs and guest spots
A folder with 77 GC collabs and guest spots
A folder of 65 p-funk covers and tributes
A folder of 23 p-related singles

In addition, he is sharing more than I’ve mentioned in my posts in this thread. It’s too much to mention, really. These are just highlights and what appealed to me the most - stuff that I had to grab while it was there, but now that I have it, I plan to take a deeper dive. Hope y’all find some good stuff in there too.

2 Likes

so being that I’ve been so successful finding stuff on soulseek and that it’s such an efficient sharing platform, I think this is how I’ll get around to sharing all the stuff everyone has passed around to me through this site. I will put it all in a folder on my computer and call it something weird, something that will never come up in a search for anyone else, like psychoalphadiscobetaprosifunkstication. Then all any one of you has to do is log into soulseek, search that word and all the stuff will be there in that folder. Basically turns a small piece of my hard drive into a dedicated p-funk server. Sounds good? Of course it does.

4 Likes

Excellent!

Been really busy, but been thinking of installing soulseek on a small server at home. Hopefully I’ll have the time to set it up next week. I’ll try to find you on there when it’s done!

FYI, this is now done. If you search psychoalphadiscobetaprosifunkstication on Soulseek, you can find a folder where I’ve stored the raw, uncut rare stuff that I’ve collected from folks on this board.

My whole collection is in my main share folder too, but that’s all stuff most of you already have. The super deep cuts are concentrated into this folder for the true funkateers on this board.

I’m not 100% sure what soulseek filters out from searches. It might not filter anything. I’ve seen audio (of course), video, txt files, and .iso dvd rips, but I can’t 100% confirm that zip files will show up, and most of these are zip files. there should be 30 separate files in this folder, then many more zipped within. Someone please go in there, search the magic word and let me know what you’re seeing. Then I’ll know if I need to do anything else to make this all accessible.

3 Likes

Someone with the user name “Nir Sose” just came in last night and took all 9 gigs from me. So that confirms it, it all shows up in a search! I wonder if that was someone from this board? He wouldn’t be the first one to stumble upon this folder.

Lol that’s me. I didn’t stumble across it, I specifically searched for your “psychoalpha…” term. It was late last night, I was very tired and didn’t feel like browsing through all the folders to figure out specifically what I did or did not already have. I knew I had most of the stuff (indeed, there’s some items that originally came from me). But I figured what the hell, I set it to download everything and went to bed. I’ll sort through it all later.

I can’t tell you how appreciative I am that you did this. This amazing thread has been going on for a year and a half with over 100 posts, it has gotten nigh impossible (for me, anyway) to keep track of everything that’s been mentioned, what has been found and what is still MIA. It’s great having a clearinghouse source. Thank you.

2 Likes

Just wondering, is everything in the Psychoalpha… folder vinyl-only remix stuff? I was a little confused at the organization of it. (I haven’t used soulseek before so I’m a little confused of how it works in general.) I downloaded one of the folders called “P Funk rare vinyl” and another one called “Parliament-Funkadelic” and there was some dope vinyl-only stuff in there (much obliged btw) I’m just a little confused as to where I should be looking for rest. Again, sorry, I’m new to the whole soulseek thing

No, it’s not only vinyl-only remixes, but a lot of it is that. It’s just a place where I’ve stored the raw files collected from members of this board. My main collection has just about all p-funk stuff ever, including that stuff (and anyone is free to take from there), but it’s re-encoded, possibly cut, adjusted, renamed, etc, so I made a point of leaving everything how I received it for sharing purposes.

So, you should download everything in that folder. I guess I should have at least renamed the zip file and folder names so it’s clear what everything is, but it’s all good stuff, I’d recommend you just take it all and you can discard what you find you already have.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for the otherwise inaccessible tunes!