Question about the official P-Funk discography on their website

Hi :blush:

First post on this board, I was glad to discover that there existed such a board, I remember looking for one years ago and being frustrated not to find any.

The reason I created my account here is the very question I wish to ask here, hoping someone has a clue.

On George Clinton’s official website, there is a discography section. It contains the core P-Funk canon (GC, Parliament and Funkadelic) as well as numerous side-projects from the 1970’s to the 2000’s. I assume that this list isn’t a random list made by some intern, and that it’ the result of what George Clinton considers the official P-Funk canon, though I cannot be entirely sure.

What puzzles me is what made some albums make the cut and some others not.

For example, the Red Hot Chili Pepper’s Freaky Styley is there, as well as Drugs’ The Prescription For Mis-America. Other records that are not there are many P-funk members’ solo projects and, even more puzzling, the 2015 live GC/Parliament/Funkadelic album Chocolate City, London, P-Funk Live At Metropolis, or George Clinton’s 2011 collaboration with Aeon Craft, Mothership (The Decatur Connection).

My first thought was “if George was heavily involved, he’ll put it there”, and maybe the latter 2 records I mentioned were accidental omissions. But some albums are there that George personally had relatively little to do with creatively speaking, such as Zapp’s eponymous album, Bootsy’s The One Giveth, The Count Taketh Away or Drugs’ The Prescription For Mis-Amercia. On the other hand, George seems to have been more involved artistically in, say, Andre Foxxe’s 1994 I’m Funk And I’m Proud than in any of the three aforementioned records, but Foxxe’s album isn’t there at all.

I also thought maybe a record is there if its author was a member of the collective at the time, but Foxxe was a bandmember in 1994, and many other projects by people who were bandmembers at the time aren’t on the list either.

Then, I thought maybe it has to do with albums that were paid for by Clinton’s production company, so he considers them “his”, but for example, he only produced Freaky Styley and I would assume it was all paid for by EMI, given that Red Hot Chili Peppers was a signed band whose record deal predated their collab with George (who didn’t co-write any of the material, on top of it).

Thus, I simply do not understand what is the criteria for a record being on that list and for another not being there. It doesn’t appear to be George Clinton’s personal involvement, it doesn’t seem to be who paid for the record, and it doesn’t seem to be the lead artist being a P-Funk member at the time of release.

Since this discography seemingly represents the definitive, official P-Funk discography, the one thing that allows one to distinguish proper P-Funk projects from other P-Funk alumni/collaborators’ works, I consider it a very important document in terms of the P-Funk Allstars’ legacy, hence my desire for clarification.

I would be very grateful for any information anyone could hopefully provide, or your best guesses at least. Many thanks :blush:

3 Likes

Great question. Welcome to the forum!

I always thought that it was a way to just showcase that he’s done a lot of stuff, and not like a complete discography. To me it seems random what’s included and what’s left out (or maybe forgotten). I think that new Parliament/3GP vinyl is also missing, but that’s perhaps because it hasn’t been updated in a while.

I noticed that’s it only possible to scroll down a little bit, after that you can only view the covers one by one by pressing the next button. Not really easy to get a good overview. :slight_smile:

Other discographies that come to mind are the one on Danny and the one on Bernie. Both have chronological order.

2 Likes

Many thanks for your reply @silentboatman :slight_smile:

The new site’s layout isn’t very user-friendly indeed. For a clearer, overall view of the whole discography, you can check the website on the Internet Archive’s Wayback machine, up until 2018 I think, the discography was all on one page.

Bernie and Danny have done a great job of putting each and every thing they ever did on their own discogs. A similar thing for George would be pretty awesome.

Your theory (just showing there was a lot of stuff and giving a general overview) is actually another possibility, one that I hadn’t considered at all because I was so certain this discography was making a point.

It would be so sad, though, as it would mean we’ll never know what truly consitutes an official GC/P-Funk albums discography in George Clinton’s eyes.

I actually thought of writing to them and ask, but I have no idea whether they reply to fanmail. Has anyone ever asked them anything by email or on social media, and gotten a reply?

Welcome to the forum.
I don’t’ have a definitive answer, I always think of George’s operation as pretty chaotic and I doubt if he would have thought about it as carefully as you have.

There is a comprehensive discography up to 2013 in the Visser and Konings pictorial book George Clinton and P Funk: Amazon.co.uk: George Clinton and P: 9789045315485: Books

George wrote the foreword and describes the authors as “the best P-Funk historians” so that’s as close to official as I think we’re going to get. Interestingly the 2
Pre 2013 releases you mention as missing from the website are not here either.

2 Likes

Yeah that book is awesome! But I found I’m Funk And I’m Proud on page 141. Had to look. :grin:

I got a reply when I asked them (by mail) how many copies where made of the 3GP vinyl. (answer: 2000)

I agree with this. I took one look at the discography page and my immediate reaction was like “okay so George just delegated someone to do this and they just googled around or went to his wikipedia or somn and kind of just threw a list together.”

George is as creative as it gets but it’s pretty clear to me that he’s not exactly the most organized. i.e. the Family Series, very erm… “optimistic” release dates, lost tapes (The Night Before OST comes to mind), etc etc…

2 Likes

btw the reason the first Zapp album is on there is probably because “More Bounce to the Ounce” is based around a tape edit that George did (and I think thats Bootsy playing guitar on the track as well?)

2 Likes

Hey fellas,

I apologize for replying so late, many crazy things happened since my last post, and I never had a moment to finally come back here.

Thanks everyone for your replies and welcoming wishes :slight_smile:

Thanks also to those who told me they wrote to the P-Funk collective and got a reply. I just sent them an email asking about it. Let’s hope they reply. If they do, I’ll let you know.

So sadly, it appears the discography book isn’t the source for the list.

For those who are interested, I did a list of what’s there. I’ve excluded random singles (there are few, but strangely enough, some) and “best of” compilations.

1 Like

First, here’s the list of “regular” albums:

FUNKADELIC – FUNKADELIC, May 11, 1970
PARLIAMENT – OSMIUM, July 07, 1970
FUNKADELIC – FREE YOUR MIND… AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW, July 20, 1970
RUTH COPELAND – SELF-PORTRAIT, October 12, 1970

FUNKADELIC – MAGGOT BRAIN, July 12, 1971
RUTH COPELAND – I AM WHAT I AM, July 26, 1971

FUNKADELIC – AMERICA EATS ITS YOUNG, May 22, 1972

FUNKADELIC – COSMIC SLOP, July 09, 1973

FUNKADELIC – STANDING ON THE VERGE OF GETTING IT ON, April 29, 1974
PARLIAMENT – UP FOR THE DOWN STROKE, December 09, 1974

PARLIAMENT – CHOCOLATE CITY, March 12, 1975
FUNKADELIC – LET’S TAKE IT TO THE STAGE, April 21, 1975
PARLIAMENT – MOTHERSHIP CONNECTION, December 15, 1975

PARLIAMENT – THE CLONES OF DR. FUNKENSTEIN, July 20, 1976
BOOTSY’S RUBBER BAND – STRETCHIN’ OUT IN BOOTSY’S RUBBER BAND, August 06, 1976
FUNKADELIC – TALES OF KIDD FUNKADELIC, September 21, 1976
FUZZY HASKINS – A WHOLE NOTHER THANG, October 25, 1976
FUNKADELIC – HARDCORE JOLLIES, October 29, 1976

BOOTSY’S RUBBER BAND – AHH…THE NAME IS BOOTSY, BABY!, January 14, 1977
PARLIAMENT – LIVE P-FUNK EARTH TOUR, May 05, 1977
FRED WESLEY AND THE HORNY HORNS + MACEO PARKER – A BLOW FOR ME, A TOOT TO YOU, June 27, 1977
EDDIE HAZEL – GAME, DAMES & GUITAR THANGS, August 29, 1977
PARLIAMENT – FUNKENTELECHY VS. THE PLACEBO SYNDROME, November 28, 1977

BOOTSY’S RUBBER BAND – BOOTSY? PLAYER OF THE YEAR, January 27, 1978
PARLET – PLEASURE PRINCIPLE, April 15, 1978
BERNIE WORRELL – ALL THE WOO IN THE WORLD, April 15, 1978
THE BRIDES OF FUNKENSTEIN – FUNK OR WALK, April 15, 1978
FUZZY HASKINS – RADIO ACTIVE, April 15, 1978
FUNKADELIC – ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE, September 11, 1978
PARLIAMENT – MOTOR-BOOTY AFFAIR, November 11, 1978

PARLET – INVASION OF THE BOOTY SNATCHERS, April 16, 1979
BOOTSY’S RUBBER BAND – THIS BOOT IS MADE FOR FONK-N, June 01, 1979
FRED WESLEY AND THE HORNY HORNS + MACEO PARKER – SAY BLOW BY BLOW BACKWARDS, August 21, 1979
FUNKADELIC – UNCLE JAM WANTS YOU, September 21, 1979
THE BRIDES OF FUNKENSTEIN – NEVER BUY TEXAS FROM A COWBOY, November 13, 1979
PARLIAMENT – GLORYHALLASTOOPID (OR PIN THE TAIL ON THE FUNKY), November 28, 1979

PARLET – PLAY ME OR TRADE ME, May 23, 1980
ZAPP – ZAPP, July 28, 1980
BOOTSY COLLINS – ULTRA WAVE, November 18, 1980
SWEAT BAND – SWEAT BAND, November 24, 1980
PARLIAMENT – TROMBIPULATION, December 05, 1980
PHILIPPE WYNNE – WYNNE JAMMIN’, December 08, 1980

FUNKADELIC – THE ELECTRIC SPANKING OF WAR BABIES, April 14, 1981
ROGER – THE MANY FACETS OF ROGER, October 20, 1981

BOOTSY COLLINS – THE ONE GIVETH, THE COUNT TAKETH AWAY, April 05, 1982
GEORGE CLINTON – COMPUTER GAMES, November 05, 1982

GEORGE CLINTON – YOU SHOULDN’T-NUF BIT FISH, December 12, 1983
P-FUNK ALL STARS – URBAN DANCEFLOOR GUERILLAS, December 19, 1983

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS – FREAKY STYLEY, August 16, 1985
GEORGE CLINTON – SOME OF MY BEST JOKES ARE FRIENDS, September 02, 1985
JIMMY G. AND THE TACKHEADS – THE FEDERATION OF TACKHEADS, October 08, 1985

GEORGE CLINTON – R&B SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET, May 26, 1986

INCORPORATED THANG BAND – LIFESTYLES OF THE ROACH AND FAMOUS, January 19, 1988

GEORGE CLINTON – THE CINDERELLA THEORY, August 02, 1989
OTIS DAY & THE KNIGHTS – SHOUT, October 03, 1989
GEORGE CLINTON + GARRY SHIDER + CADILLAC HEIGHTS + BABYFATT + JESSICA CLEAVES + O.T.W. + MAXI MUFF – OUR GANG FUNKY, October 17, 1989

TREY LEWD – DROP THE LINE, September 15, 1992

GEORGE CLINTON – HEY MAN… SMELL MY FINGER, October 12, 1993

PARLIAMENT + FUNKADELIC + P-FUNK ALL-STARS – DOPE DOGS, November 25, 1994

GEORGE CLINTON & THE P-FUNK ALLSTARS – T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M., June 11, 1996

DRUGS – A PRESCRIPTION FOR MIS-AMERICA, August 16, 2001

SATIVA – JERSEY GIRL, September 08, 2003
KENDRA FOSTER – MYRIADMORPHONICBIOCORPOMELODICREALITYSHAPESHIFTER, November 19, 2003

GEORGE CLINTON & PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC – INSTANT LIVE, THE STATE THEATER, PORTLAND, ME 3/19/04, March 19, 2004
GEORGE CLINTON & PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC – INSTANT LIVE, MUSIC MIDTOWN FESTIVAL, ATLANTA, GA 5/1/04, May 01, 2004
POO POO + GEORGE CLINTON – SNOOTY AKA SNOT LOGICAL, November 30, 2004
GEORGE CLINTON AND PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC – LIVE AT MONTREUX 2004, June 06, 2005

GEORGE CLINTON AND THE P-FUNK ALL STARS – HOW LATE DO U HAVE 2BB4UR ABSENT?, September 26, 2005

GEORGE CLINTON & HIS GANGSTERS OF LOVE – GEORGE CLINTON & HIS GANGSTERS OF LOVE, September 16, 2008

KENDRA FOSTER – RAW HONEY VOL. 1: THE KENDRA FOSTER LIVE SERIES, February 26, 2009

FUNKADELIC – FIRST YA GOTTA SHAKE THE GATE, November 25, 2014

PARLIAMENT – MEDICAL FRAUD DOGG, May 22, 2018

Now, here’s a list of “archive” projects (in loose release order, again exclusing “greatest hits” packages, unless they’re made mostly of non-album or remixed material):

P-FUNK ALL STARS – LIVE AT THE BEVERLY THEATER IN HOLLYWOOD (1990)

PARLIAMENT – THE BEST NONSTOP MIX COMPILATION (1991)

GEORGE CLINTON’S FAMILY SERIES VOL.1, GO FER YER FUNK (1992)

FUNKADELIC + PARLIAMENT + GEORGE CLINTON & THE P-FUNK ALL STARS – LIVE GREATEST HITS 1972-1993 (1993)
GEORGE CLINTON’S FAMILY SERIES VOL. 2, “P” IS THE FUNK (1993)
GEORGE CLINTON’S FAMILY SERIES VOL. 3, PLUSH FUNK (1993)

EDDIE HAZEL – JAMS FROM THE HEART (1994)
EDDIE HAZEL – REST IN P (1994)
FRED WESLEY AND THE HORNY HORNS + MACEO PARKER – THE FINAL BLOW (1994)
GEORGE CLINTON AND THE P-FUNK ALL STARS – P-FUNK UNRELEASED REMIX (1994)
GEORGE CLINTON’S FAMILY SERIES VOL. 4, TESTING POSITIVE 4 THE FUNK (1994)
GEORGE CLINTON’S FAMILY SERIES VOL. 5, A FIFTH OF FUNK(1994)
THE BRIDES OF FUNKENSTEIN – LIVE AT THE HOWARD THEATRE, 1978 (1994)
THE PARLIAMENTS – TESTIFYIN’, THE MID 60’S DETROIT SESSIONS (1994)

GEORGE CLINTON + PARLIAMENT + FUNKADELIC – MOTHERSHIP CONNECTION NEWBERG SESSION (1995)

GEORGE CLINTON – GREATEST FUNKIN’ HITS (1996)
FUNKADELIC – LIVE, MEADOWBROOK, ROCHESTER, MICHIGAN, 12TH SEPTEMBER 1971 (1996)

GEORGE CLINTON + PARLIAMENT + FUNKADELIC – THE MOTHERSHIP CONNECTION (1998)

BOOTSY’S RUBBER BAND – LIVE IN LOUISVILLE 1978 (1999)
GEORGE CLINTON AND THE P-FUNK ALL STARS – FUNK UM AGIN… FOR THE FIRST TIME (1999)
PARLIAMENT – THE 12’’ COLLECTION AND MORE (1999)

GEORGE CLINTON – EXTENDED PLEASURE (2000)

BOOTSY’S RUBBER BAND – LIVE IN OKLAHOMA 1976 (2002)

FUNKADELIC – BY WAY OF THE DRUM (2007)

EDDIE HAZEL – AT HOME (WITH FAMILY) (2008)
FUNKADELIC – TOYS (2008)

U.S. MUSIC WITH FUNKADELIC – U.S. MUSIC WITH FUNKADELIC (2009)

Another strange omission is the 2017 remix album of Funkadelic tracks, titled Reworked By Detroiters. But I suspect clinton didn’t authorize it.

2 Likes

Oh, and while I’m at it, there are few (like 4, I think) entries in the above for which I could never find a copy. IDK if asking people/trading for digital copies is allowed on the board, which is why I don’t give any more details, but if it is, kindly let me know :slight_smile:

Regarding digital copies on the board, don’t distribute digital copies of official releases unless they’re really rare and not possible to get a hold of.

Besides that, it’s totally fine to ask :wink:. Links to sites like youtube/soundcloud/and so on are also fine. Some rare gems can be found on soulseek.

2 Likes

@silentboatman Thanks. Ha ha, actually I’ve been a very active Soulseeker ever since 2004. Unfortunately I was never able to find these specific (all out of print) three records there (or anywhere else):

- The Japanese version of the 1972-1993 LIVE BOXSET;
- KENDRA FOSTER – RAW HONEY VOL. 1: THE KENDRA FOSTER LIVE SERIES;
- PARLIAMENT – THE BEST NONSTOP MIX COMPILATION.

Everything else I have (and will be happy to trade of course).

1 Like

@silentboatman I just realized there are 2 others I was never able to find, the two Instant Live releases from 2004:

GEORGE CLINTON & PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC – INSTANT LIVE, THE STATE THEATER, PORTLAND, ME 3/19/04, March 19, 2004
GEORGE CLINTON & PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC – INSTANT LIVE, MUSIC MIDTOWN FESTIVAL, ATLANTA, GA 5/1/04, May 01, 2004

These were most likely very limited releases, possibly sold only at the shows they were recorded at, so I don’t hold high hopes, but asking just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah these Instant Live were first sold at shows as CD-R, but then later also as regular CDs.

I own the non-stop mix CD, and one of the instant live albums.

@Seventieslord I now have both Instant Live albums thanks to a good soul here. Please let me know if you still need the one you don’t have (and which one it is). And of course I’d be super grateful for a rip of the Non-Stop Mix :heart_eyes:

I am also on the lookout for the “Instant Live” albums, if anyone is willing to share, I would be extremely grateful! Thank you!

@nowhereisaplace Here you go, mate :slight_smile: https://we.tl/t-VUDN8A2NBJ
@Seventieslord you can get the one you don’t have there :slight_smile:

2 Likes