Question about the official P-Funk discography on their website

Thank you lotusflow3r!

@nowhereisaplace Anytime :slight_smile:

Thank you for that.

But my goodness, are these Instant Live releases ever bad for sound.

Iā€™m not good at explaining exactly what is wrong, but I noticed right away that the Portland show sounded very quiet and muddy. I had to amplify the files to a ridiculous degree in order to make them sound anywhere near the volume of an average mp3, and of course that amplifies the muddiness too. I had to sort of split the difference on it. Doesnā€™t sound great, but at least itā€™s only sort of quiet and sort of muddy now. I compared to quick clips of other GC+PFAS live albums I have in mp3, and itā€™s not even close to as good as them.

I checked my Atlanta show too, and itā€™s the same with that one, I guess I just never noticed when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Kind of disappointing, considering Instant Liveā€™s whole thing is that you donā€™t have to do the bootlegging because theyā€™ll do it for you - professionally, off the soundboard. And still it sounds like this.

I havenā€™t even gotten around listening to them as I just got 'em last week or so, but I can believe you. I honestly donā€™t know how difficult it is for an engineer to come up with a good mix on the spot, but given that the CDā€™s were sold on site right after the show, I would assume the mix is the mix that was done during the concert, i.e. aimed at making it sound good for the audience, not a hi-fi system, with no time for adjustments before the CDs were pressed. Live records are normally properly mixed (and occasionally overdubbed) in the studio afterwards, which leaves time for a proper mix.

1 Like

Just a little update about the discography thing. Iā€™ve emailed two of the emails given on the P-Funk website asking about its official status, but never got a reply. Iā€™m at a loss. I thought maybe I could try through their FB page or something. Any idea to reach out to them is welcome.