P-funk tributes/covers?

For a band that was so hugely influential and sampled so heavily, it seems that there are relatively few full-on P-funk covers out there. In fact, off the top of my head I’m only aware of two:

The Jackson Five’s I’ll Bet You
Audioslave’s Super Stupid

I’m sure there are plenty more, but I’ve never come across them. Ice Cube’s Bop Gun (One Nation) is somewhat of a cover, but not entirely. Pretty much everything on Ground Zero’s Future of the Funk EP is an indirect cover that borrows so heavily from numerous songs that you could almost call them covers, but like the Ice Cube song, they’re in a different zone, in between sampling and actual full-on covers. But they interest me as well.

Perhaps we should compile a list. Things like the Original P songs from What Dat shakin’ and Westbound Souljas, and Parliament-Funkadelic’s covers of themselves, need not be mentioned, as they are performed by P-funk members. I’m looking for stuff from completely outside that sphere.

1 Like

Secondly, I was wondering if there are any actual P-funk tribute albums out there. I can’t find any. Google is no help there. I don’t think any actually exist, and that’s surprising. Think of all the major artists who would want to participate in one.

:point_up:t3:There are a few more that I can think of… matter of fact two of them have been posted on here quite recently!?!:metal:t3:

True dat.

Mavis Staples - Can You Get To That
Pat Lewis - Can’t Shake It Loose

Two excellent examples.

:point_up:t3:The Pat Lewis 7” is the original cut. The Funkadelic cut is a few years later as with ‘Whatever Makes My Baby Feel Good - Rose Williams’ redone later by Parliament. ‘Open Our Eyes’ has been cut by EW&F but doesn’t count either as it is a cover of a (standard) hymn.

The Alabama Shakes girl recently did You & Your Folks.
Mavis Staples has a Can You Get To That
The Dells did Testify & Goodies
Johnny Taylor did Testify

One Nation Under A Regroove by The Clinton Administration is a good tribute
Club Nouveau’s Under A Nouveau Groove is sort of a take on One Nation Under A Groove

1 Like

Oh yes, that’s right, I have the Johnnie Taylor version on CD. The Dells one I didn’t know about.

P-Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up) by TM Stevens
Marco by FFF loosely covers Atomic Dog
One Nation by Sheila E (with George)
I’ve Been Watching U - Too $hort (with George)

And these ones are P-Funk covers by (somewhat) different P-Funkers
Testifly by Tra’zae
Insurance Man by Parliament (duh)
Together by Parliament is a cover of the House Guests song which is kinda still P-Funk

There’s also a list of p-funk covers on the motherpage.

I don’t remember seeing this on the list, 100% Proof “Disco Sucks”

This song feels like a P-funk tribute, even though it’s a rock musician playing jazzy tunes. I think it sounds soooo much like a certain p-funk song, in more than a couple of ways, but I am not going to tell you which one, so you can listen and see if you come up with the same thing as me.

Listened to it several time, but don’t know what pfunk track it could be. Damn :sweat_smile: . The first song I thought about was Biological Speculation, but naw they’re not that alike…

Nah I totally hear Biological Speculation in there haha. Sounds fairly similar to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s totally biological speculation.

I mean it’s similar enough that all three of us picked up on it, right?

2 Likes

“Y’all see his point…?”
“Y’all see his point.”

1 Like

Perhaps not exactly what you were asking for, but The Red Hot Chili Peppers used to do alot of short PFunk covers live.

This show has Dr. Funkenstein, If You Got Funk, You Got Style and Red-Hot Momma

I love Frusciante from this time!

3 Likes

Haha yeah their P-Funk covers are great! I especially like the If You Got Funk cover from that show. Here’s another good Chili Pepper cover where Anthony actually wrote his own lyrics for Thumpasorus Peoples lol. Pretty short but pretty dope

2 Likes

Great stuff. @JordanianEmbassy, did you see that pfunk’s (seemingly/potentially) new guitarist reminds of a young Frusciante? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah I did see that! I’m guessing he’ll be with them when then finally get to finish the tour?