P-funk tributes/covers?

Wow! Just saw this on insta… there is a westbound 7” issue of it, which is why it also appears on a recent-ish “westbound breaks” compilation…

1 Like
3 Likes

I’d almost forgot about this one!

This is gonna give me a lot to hunt down on Soulseek!

1 Like

I personally think General Kane should have left Flashlight alone. It is one of them jams nobody should attempt to remake and release.

2 Likes

I gotta say, I enjoyed the version of Flashlight they did with Busta and Q-Tip on Greatest Funkin Hits and I’ve heard a few decent samplings of it. Obviously none are gonna top the original but :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah I forgot about that one I can halfway get into.

Yeah! It’s not the greatest cover!

I love that album. In particular that jam and the ‘Cube one - and it’s awesome video.

Oh and Plush Funk…

‘Hildaaaa, have you heard of the new plush funk?

‘Is that the one with the booty body?

‘I do believe so. What do you think, Henrietta?

Class. Still one of my favourites, still loving them accents :grinning:

3 Likes

Yeah I really wish Sterling Silver Starship had actually materialized into a full project like Brides, Parlet, or Godmoma

1 Like

I sold my copy of this album recently dunno tbh I don’t remember ever playing it… Bit of a Bootsy voice in the beginning of one track… dunno some of it’s kinda imitation Pee!?!

1 Like

Feeling a little ashamed for sharing such inferior “P’ tributes”, so here’s maybe the best! Featuring Dennis Chambers so it does have a more than slight “mothership connection”

3 Likes

This is one of my favorites. They really captured the classic Bootsy bass style. Their rapping is also great

2 Likes

Here is another tune that’s heavy on the P’

2 Likes

Yeah! I haven’t listened to that for a few years!

Another tribute type track from virtually the same gang as on the Don Blackmon. Give the drummer some! Happy Birthday D.C.

1 Like

Fishbone did a cover of “call my baby pussycat” but of course I can’t find it, anyone happen to have it?

Surprisingly, can’t even find it on soulseek.

1 Like