Members' introduction

Man oh man, there are some familiar names in this place.

Loc here. I used to run the One Nation Boardroom 2.0 after Melissa closed the first one down.

For those who don’t know me, I’ve been a fan since I heard Atomic Dog as a kid. I got serious about the funk in my late teens and early 20s. Have seen a lot of shows and I have a lot of stories! LOL
Well, I’m in my late 40s now and I get nostalgic from time to time about the good ole days.

Its been a loooooong time since I’ve been back to the P-Funk scene online. This place looks good.
Hope to talk some P-Funk!

10 Likes

Hello everyone.

Me & my dad used follow P-Funk around TX/Louisiana/the south in the early 2000s-2010s.
I was buddies with Glenn the merch man. Got to know Danny, Clip, and Shider just before he passed.

I stopped keeping up with the band when the Shake The Gate era started. Don’t even know the lineup these days. Considering going this year because I have since become a huge Fishbone fan.

Was a member of the old One Nation Boardroom forum. Learned so much there

I used to have a TON of old P-Funk shows I have lost over various moves.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @BryceAlger!

Hey folks, i’m Mike, a longtime P Funk fan from Sacramento. Got hooked on the P in the early 90s and was fortunate to catch several epic GC & P Funk-All Stars, and Bootsy shows between '92 and '95.
Took a long break catching them live, but I saw them just last month out here on 3/2, and it reinvigorated my passion for GC’s music again. Glad to find this place.

4 Likes

Hey @Hoagiemike! Did you see that Sacramento’s own Dawn Silva released a book? I’ve seen that she personally delivered it to several people living nearby :slight_smile:. Underground Books (in Sacramento) appears to have it as well.

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Is this where I say Hi? I think so…Well howdy-do then? My name is Jim, I am 54 and from Hamilton, Ontario…I’m a big-funk-fan and delighted to be here! Does it show? I play the rhythm glee-tar and have a bit of musical acumen…but it doesn’t hurt. I kinda like the musical acumen. It feels good, it feels RIGHT. I have two kids that are now young adults and every bit as awesome as i could hope for.
Thanks for letting me in!
Message me anytime.
I’ve only had the good fortune of catching ONE live show where i live…it was at lollapalooza in '94
lollapalooza

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Jimbobeer!

1 Like

@silentboatman Woohoo! Thank you kindly!

Welcome, @Jimbobeer!

I’m from Regina. I’ve been trying to organize a road trip to go to Minneapolis in September to catch The P but have not had any luck yet. Even the one guy who was my sure thing has apparently backed out. I’m relying on three maybes now, who are not committed enough to get tickets as of now.

If I make it, it’ll be my first time. I’m 41.

5 Likes

What’s happening y’all? What a great community to find so serendipitously! I was searching for some P-Funk memorabilia and saw a post about the Bootsy figurines now sold by Big Bad Toy Store (yes, still lots out there) and here I am. Oh, and I ordered one needless to say. :grin:

Was led to the P-Funk by a new friend in late 1976 when he was my boss at a department store grocery pickup. Lower middle-class white boys earning just enough for beer money. He was an excellent college-educated guitarist who bucked his teachers’ expectations and focused on funk, and I’m still grateful to him and flattered that he saw something in me that told him I’d “get it.” That sent me to the department store’s record bins where the whole catalog was available for about $1.99 per LP. I still have recurring dreams about finding P-Funk albums in the cutout bins!

I’m obsessed with the vintage tech and recording techniques used in the '70s and have a nice little home recording setup, though time to play around is hard to come by. At present I’m entirely “ITB” (In The Box, i.e. computer-based). Hoping to maybe pick up a new guitar and bass in the new year though.

I live in Ontario, married 23 years with a 20-year old son starting Engineering this week. I’m semi-retired but always on the lookout for new gigs in editing or voice work. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it, and all the news that’s fit to print. See you around!

10 Likes

Great that you found the forum @emspace! That sounds like an awesome boss. :grinning:

2 Likes

He was, and became a very good friend. We were just a couple of kids from a pretty hick town called Edmonton, Alberta. So you can see the P made its way into some pretty obscure corners of the world. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Edmonton?! That’s where I’m from! It may not seem like it on the surface but I know a lot of people here who love the funk and any local record store that gets an original press Parliament or Funkadelic LP in will see it gone in hours. But still very D’void in the suburbs for sure!

4 Likes

Hi Mutron (great name)! Well, remember I’m talking about the 1970s here. I’d be willing to bet we were among the very few, if not the only people listening to stuff like that at the time. This guy used to throw HUGE parties, and nobody had ever heard music like the stuff in his collection before, and found it bizarre. I know that’s not proof, but you get the idea. I’m glad things are different now. Edmonton has always been a good town to hear live music too, because the winters are long and cold. I was back in July to visit an old friend, and it felt good. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

What’s up fellow Clones of the good Dr?

My name is Darryl, I’m 46 and live in Pittsburgh, Pa. I have 4 daughters and a granddaughter.

My introduction to the funk came at a gloriously early age: my dad used to play the Mothership Connection album in the car very frequently, with my earliest memory being when I was 7. So I’m nearly 4 full decades deep in the funk🤘🏽

I wasn’t allowed to go to concerts when I was a kid, and got married/started having kids pretty young, so my first live indoctrination was in 2018. I’ve been fortunate enough to see them 2 more times here in Pittsburgh (as recently as 3 weeks ago!), and once in Detroit last summer.

Keep on funkin, and make mine the P!!!:metal:t4::metal:t4::metal:t4:

9 Likes

Bootsy has cited Larry as an influence numerous times. Too many times to count.

1 Like

Thanks, @FreedomFlower for posting this URL. Wow! Even unedited footage (with crappy audio levels) featuring these two cats — I mean Bernie and Bootsy — it’s glamorous thang to watch.

2 Likes

This is Wojtek (pronounced like woe-tech, if you’re into strange details), 52 yo individual from Warsaw, Poland. Graphic designer by profession.

I am quite late attendant to P-F crowd out there. I was into Chilli Peppers and all-things-punk-and-post-punk in my high school years. Typical alt-boy wannabe.

So… my first P-F contact? June the 6th, 2002! Local Yahoo-like portal sponsored an open-air and free(!) festival in Sopot (resort at the Baltic Coast). A lot of local pop acts on the bill with George with P-Funk troupe somehow landed there as well.

My personal ass was previously moving to “Atomic”, “One Nation” or “Flash Light”. At that point I know that there will be a serious grooving BUT what I saw on the stage was beyond everything — to the point I took me some years to process that.

Besides, I am just pale and blonde as only East European could be, too. Same occurs with the audience, which that night was huuuuuge. Just imagine – free gig in the middle of summer, Polish starlet lineup mixed with some Americans on top of that. It must gather a lot of crowd and – boy, it did.

When P-F took a stage, the audience weren’t interacting as it HAS to be. Of course, the grooves were attacking, feets were moving, but overall response was mild at best. Can’t blame the random festival crowd, but – after two or three initial songs – George with the most of troupe left the stage. Garry with another guitarist and bassist stayed, just to enjoy ten-minute-ish guitar jamming, Maggot Brain influenced (if my memory serves well). And that hellish portions of reverb and sustain (plus George seemed AWOL) quickly resolved previous randomness issues – most of audience went elsewhere. And the real show restarted soon after. The ones whom stayed could chant, sing and demand the funk properly.

:love_you_gesture:t2:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Peter. I’m 49 years old and living in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (George Clinton used to live here!!!). I work as a software/web developer. I mostly collect CDs with a bit of vinyl and cassettes.

I grew up in a small town in Ontario. In high school I started listening to Hip-Hop (I think I was the only one in my high school who did!) which would use and give shout outs to P-Funk. I was intrigued and by the end of high school I had picked up a few odds and ends (the Tear the Roof Off collection, Hey Man Smell My Finger, Computer Games, Blasters of the Universe). By the end of university, I had all the Parliament, Funkadelic and Horny Horn albums, most George Clinton albums and some Rubber Band, Bernie, P-Funk All-Stars albums. That was a few decades ago and I’ve got more but there’s still many P-Funk or related albums I’d like to get. I’ve seen George and the All-Stars live here once in Ontario.

Other than P-Funk and Hip-Hop I also listen to dancehall, Prince, Jimi Hendrix and 60’s and 70’s R&B (like James Brown, Sly Stone, Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin, Kool and the Gang, Buddy Miles, etc.). I also listen to Bon Jovi and INXS (got into them before Hip-Hop) and Guns & Roses and Nirvana (who were big while I was in high school).

Currently I’m reading George’s Brothers Be… and Dawn Silva’s The Funk Queen is in the mail.

6 Likes

I am a funk spelunker and this is the newest cave I plan to go DEEP in, baby.
Name’s Nick. I live in Arizona. I’m a musician of some minor note in a niche scene of art rock/prog I’m involved in online. I’m a published artist and currently hobbyist (for now) writer.
Lifelong chaser of cosmic grooves.
Relatively new to educating myself on certain chunks of funk in the vast “Parliadelic” (did I just coin that?) catalog that I’ve yet to familiarize myself with, however.
In this endeavor I figured that talking to fellow travelers would be beneficial. So here I am.
Thanks for having me.

4 Likes