Lyrical SPECulation (put on your sunglasses, folks)

That’s it! I was doubting that “Ain’t” lyric.

[2:54] But we gon’ give up now?

I still think it sounds like “In-Stink”.

That sounds right. (Although, I still have trouble hearing the last sentence).

Yeah the “Think! It ain’t illegal yet!” is one of the classic P-Funk mantras. It’s printed in the liner notes of the album if I’m not mistaken (or one of the other albums). And it’s on the face masks they were selling on their site (not sure if they still are or not).

Yeah the very last sentence is pretty hard to make out. I don’t think I would have even gotten that (if that is even correct) had that not already been a P-Funk lyric (from Funkentelechy) and Funkentelechy vs Placebo was released just a year earlier so it would make sense

1 Like

Yeah, it absolutely makes more sense. Just want to be sure since singers will sometime vary the lyrics a bit to keep it fresh.

1 Like

This is some really cool lore! (that I hope Ivy wasn’t just pulling out of his rump lol) I wish so badly they’d done a comic book with a story like this like they did on Funkentelechy! I’ve actually been trying to find all P-Funk comic-esque things (basically any official lore, be-it album liners or what-have-you) and of course the stories they tell in the songs themselves to get kind of a grand overview of P-Funk mythology. I don’t really have any sort of end-goal I just love the sci-fi (or psi phi :wink: ) aspect of P-Funk stuff. One of my favorite comics is the one in the liner notes of TAPOAFOM.

I think this is right actually. Though the inflection on this doesn’t really make sense, it doesn’t sound like a question. Maybe he meant to say “But we ain’t gon’ give up now…” My money is on that to be honest

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a question. I think I accidently transferred the question-mark in all the activity.

I think it makes more sense as question tho. He’s saying like “we haven’t even made it to 1984 yet! we’re gonna give up already?” I feel like it either needs to be a question or a statement that we AIN’T gonna give up now…

1 Like

Oh. That’s what you mean. Then yeah, without a question mark it sounds strangely defeatist. It probably should be transcribed as a question (unless that’s not the line).

1 Like

how can I do the collapsible text like @ChrisB did earlier? I’d rather not post text walls if possible haha

Select the gear icon (top right), and select “Hide Details”.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Nosey Nose lyrics

All right I’ve got a good one for years I can’t get what Sheila Horne is singing on the Brides’ Party Up In Here. Really the first lines around the :30 second mark.
She says “My head is fine, dancing funk time” I think. What the funk does she say next? They repeat it several times throughout the track.

After listening to it by ear and with a splitter,

[0:26] my head is fine, band’s in perfect time, thank, pretty soon, we’re gonna blow your mind

[3:23] my head is fine, band’s in perfect time, thank, pretty soon, we’re gonna blow your mind

I think it’s spoken as “thank”, but is supposed to be the word “think”.

1 Like

I think that is exactly it. You don’t know what this means to me lol.
Now Parlet.
On the song “Funk Until the Edge of Time”:
What is the line at 1:49?
What is the line at 3:29

On the song F-Encounter. What is the chant at 5:24?

I think it’s “One part of funk or this kind, can we program your flim flam mind?”

“The funk is hot… enough to raise a flame, so call the shot(s)… or you can play my game” (the first time they just say “it’s hot”)

to me it sounds like “go to work!”

1 Like

Excellent topic. Lots of great stuff.

Do y’all want me to add a “lyrics” category? Or do you wanna keep on using this topic? Either way is fine. Although separate topics in a specific category is perhaps easier to read if somebody finds it after a while (compared to a massive single topic)…

1 Like

Yeah, after thinking it over, while a single thread is convenient for quick posts, I think separate threads would be more useful in the long run.

Yeah, as a new comer, I do find that P-Funk video thread quite daunting…

Anybody else have any thoughts?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Liquid Sunshine lyrics

[1:50] one [part?] of funk (f)or this [guy?]

It could be “guy” or “cat”. However, something about how it trails off feels like “guy” to me.

For 3:29 I think @ Phunklord_Siege is right, although I think it’s always “the funk is hot” and “shots”.

I always heard this as “turned on the farmer’s water pipe”, just a variation on the traditional 3 blind mice nursery rhyme.

Here’s a funny one: only in recent years did I figure out “sittin in the woods upon a log, my finger on the trigger my eyes on the hog…I like FATBACK!”
Don’t laugh at me.
:smirk:

3 Likes