Zeep - Tex-a-graphical slams from funk ninjas

Here’s another great Pedro Bell find from archive. Again thanks to Jake Austen. Zeep!

Zeep is a magazine/zine that Pedro did in 1997 (together with overton, stozo, hayden, stevens…). They only did one issue. I wanted show it as images as I did with the Roctober stuff, but it’s more than 80 pages so that wasn’t really feasible :sweat_smile: . Instead I’ll add the PDF and show a selection.

zeep_1997.pdf (9.1 MB)

7 Likes

Funny story I have about this. I ordered from Dro shortly after it came out and he never sent it. So, I sent him a letter about it with my phone number in it and he called me.

I need to pull it back out. I have no memory of the Parliament Reunion even being in there.

1 Like

Did you ever receive it from him? I’m his brother. I’m on Facebook with this name.

Welcome to the forum @Bruse_Anthony!

1 Like

Yes Droski came correct. It was just a dream come true. I had no idea he would actually call me on the phone to make it right. It was a “damn I am actually talking to Sir Lleb on the phone” moment.

3 Likes

That’s cool. I’d just discovered the website and saw that your message was old, but reached out anyway because of the magazine issue. I have an issue of Zeep that I was going sell to the highest bidder at some point since so many other mofos have made money from illegal sales of his work in the form of apparel, flags and even face masks. It wasn’t clear to me if you had received your paid Zeep from him and I was going to be a gentleman and offer my copy to you to be honorable. Thanks for hitting me back!

3 Likes

Thank you, sir!

1 Like

I hope I’m not overstepping, but do you have pictures of any of his other work? I’m doing a project in my Black Music Studies class about Pedro Bell: his life, inspirations, art (album covers and otherwise), his contribution to the P-Funk mythos, and his importance as a visual artist in the context of Black Music. It’s going to be something of a biography. Besides the Zeep and Roctober magazines, I’ve only been able to find two pieces of artwork that aren’t album cover art. I can attach pictures of those two pieces if you’d like.

3 Likes