Upcoming "House Guests" Album

I’m going down to Shake It tomorrow and cop it. I had a few words with Casper last week when he rolled his new IPA brew out. I told him I felt that Zillatron had a little more to say and that he should consider doing another record on him. He started laughing but said ‘he do have some more to say, man we got some tracks’.
Maybe I put something on his mind I do not know.

Damn. That’s bad news for me. :frowning:

He rolled off from the Fretboard Brewing in some kind of tricked out older model Ford Explorer with white wall tire on it. Man, to see Boomanchu behind the wheel of that in star glasses was totally surreal. I come completely apart at the site of it. I did get him to sign my Ah, The Name Is Bootsy poster before he disappeared in the Casper cloud.

I emailed and they are planning a CD release.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks! Will definitely be snagging that.

I just iced this wax tonight and was blown away by how good it sounded. Some super hi fidelity stuff for sure. I have a whole newfound respect for Bootsy after digesting these gritty tracks. Eye opening to hear where Psychoticbumpskool came from too!

This may very well be the dirtiest tightest funk of all time. I cranked it on some great big 100 watt speakers and the whole house started to shake. The bass is so heavy in the mix. What Bootsy and them was doing at this time is innovative, culturally relevant, energetic & most of all stanky.

Say Something Good is just unbelievable. So raw. When I think of what was on the radio back then this stuff is much more underground. The only way to describe it is feeling like I was hit by a veritable funk tsunami.

3 Likes

I got it today, at laaast! Will listen to it when I get home. Can’t wait! Here’s pics of the insert as well.

2 Likes

I was looking on discogs, and it appears that this compilation is everything that Bootsy did between James Brown and Funkadelic. The only exceptions appear to be my mind set me Free part 2 and together in heaven part 2. But I don’t know for sure because I haven’t found track lengths listed anywhere. Are these 5+ minutes long? If so, then they must include part 2. If not, then that means that both of those tracks are still languishing in vinyl obscurity while the rest of the music has received a new life.

1 Like

Hopefully it will be released on cd as well… I usually prefer vinyl to digital unless the release has been sourced from “digitally restored” vinyl which I am pretty sure will be the case with these songs!?!

I timed the tracks and they’re pretty long. So it’s safe to say that it’s both part one and two. :tada:

My Mind Set Me Free - 6:20
Together In Heaven - 5:40

What a great record, you can really hear the JB influence. One nice surprise was Together In Heaven, I had forgotten that it was the same song that they redid on Chocolate City. Excellent version.

At Shake It Records its says that all tracks are remastered from the original master tapes. So I suppose that means that they’re not “digitally restored from vinyl".

1 Like

Good to hear that Together and My Mind are the full versions. Weird that they specified Fun In Your Thang as having 2 parts but not the other two.

1 Like

I don’t know how they mastered it but its got a big thick sound to it.

Wow! Cheers. That is interesting and as on the record pics I could only see “digital restoration” credit.

Maybe the tapes used were from ones originally edited for pressing of original 7” record!?!

I started to compare tracks on the LP with the singles and they’re not exactly the same. For example Together In Heaven has an extra 30s around 2:55. That’s just between Part 1 and Part 2. And My Mind Set Me Free differ as well, it’s not just part 1 and 2 put together.

Another thing that I didn’t notice before is that Say Something Good and Together In Heaven has been mixed together on the album. Strange. I suppose it has something to do with the master tapes.

3 Likes

More info on Bootsy, Houseguests & co at King records.

https://www.zeroto180.org/?p=37876&fbclid=IwAR31BmUfyB4wxTRFIWM9wkNDCAEUbkpG5vV9t9M9NQffuCae37k7ufIiBu0

1 Like

That’s a great link @MrSuperNobody thanks!

Way up in the first post by @Phunklord_Siege, there’s a link to Bootsy’s now-inactive patreon. What’s the story on U-Git-Out? Did anyone get it before it disappeared? Did it show up on the House Guests album under a different name?

2 Likes

:point_up:t3:I doubt it appears on The Houseguests album under a different name, I am definitely not paying to join Bootsy’s online club even if I do get an exclusive Houseguests track. But U-Git-Out could b pt2 to ‘Be Right Back’ as there are two (previously unreleased) tracks without their Pt 2’s which could be due to time limits on a vinyl pressing… strange if they ever release it on cd It could have more tracks. Don’t understand why it’s a vinyl only release maybe they thought there wasn’t enough (strong?) material to to justify a cd pressing.:man_shrugging:t2:

I never got that song from Patreon, but maybe it could be this track?

It sounds to me like a newer production. Not like the House Guest tracks on the My Mind Set Me Free vinyl.

1 Like

Yeah… probably. Shame! “Newer” that’s what I first thought but the info is not very clear. I haven’t bought the Houseguests album yet! but judging from the audio clips on Discogs some of the unreleased tracks don’t sound too strong and audio quality is variable… as I said probably not good enough for a (digital) silver disc release. On a more positive note good to hear Mudbone vocals on one of the tracks!!!