The Dawn Silva book - Shadows On The Wall / The Funk Queen

Dying to read it – how can I get a copy?

1 Like

That’s the link

How are y’all receiving her words on how the song Computer Love got materialized? I’ve heard different takes on it down thru the years but not this detailed. Considering what they say about him running off with the Many Facets masters I can believe it. Although I don’t blame him for that. Probably saved his career. I’d have been trying to get as far away from the PF business office as possible! She seems bitter at GC (and if things were half as bad as she is saying) for good reason. The physical and emotional abuse she suffered at the hands of Mike Hampton, what Charlie Wilson did to her. George was never physically abusive to her but got at her in plenty of other ways. The man seemed to try and snuff out any career move she tried to make after P-Funk.
Now, I know to be a leader of any band you have to play hardball. I don’t know what it takes to keep egos in a band in check for 60 years. Maybe you have to be a certain way. At the end of the day, the Funk is just what it was I guess.
Also fascinating is how Lynn Mabry comes off in the book. I had been incorrectly thinking they had a relationship prior to Sly. There are a couple of times in the book where Dawn talks about Lynn abandoning the Brides.
Although I got the impression she was much younger, Lynn seemed to be the one in charge, making the moves, the major decisions. I don’t know if this is the picture Dawn was trying to paint but it is what I got. Lynn was the one who said let’s go meet George. Let’s try some of this ‘green’ he has (which turned out to be rat tranquilizer). Almost like a bad influence. And when Bernie and Lynn went with Talking Heads, it seemed like they left her all alone.
Now, having watched the Lynn Mabry piece on funkatopia, she does not seem to harbor these same sentiments against George, etc. Although, I’ve never heard Lynn say anything negative about anyone. She always takes the high road. I don’t know what her response to this book is, if one at all.

Dawn also barely mentions Bootsy at all.

4 Likes

Dawn’s vocals on Sly’s tune, Le Lo Li Lo. Deadly :metal:

I think it probably went down that way with Computer Love. But I don’t mind, Charlie Wilson deserved that shit.

This book got a lot of really heavy chapters, especially the Gap Band chapters. I know it’s often hard to leave an abusive relationship. But still, even knowing that, every time she went back to that psychopath I was like nooo whyyy… I don’t know how many times I was like now it will get better, but it always just continued or got worse. It got so depressing that I had to take a break from reading several times. And yeah, that puppy story… that was fucked up.

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve heard Lynn say anything negative about any experience or people. She doesn’t seem to feel it was as bad, or perhaps she don’t want to talk about it. It would be interesting to hear her views about Dawn’s stories. Also Bernie’s perspective on when Lynn went with him to Talking Heads would’ve been interesting to hear. Yeah, it really felt like they left her alone and didn’t care.

Another thing that I thought about while listening to Lynn’s funkatopia interview was that while they talked about p-funk books she didn’t even mention Dawn’s book. Granted that it’s not her story. But still, she talked at length about Seth’s planned book. Sure, she was interviewed for that book so perhaps she feels closer to that one, but it still felt strange.

Haven’t seen Seth mention Dawn’s book either. I was even more surprised about that. Since he’s in the same situation trying to get his book out and I suppose he interviewed Dawn for the book, I thought he would at least post something (let me know if he did and I missed it). Also, I haven’t seen either GC or Bootsy post anything about the book…

2 Likes

The chemical enhancements were flowing freely in those days and could drastically change a person’s behavior. I was in the music business very briefly and everybody was high. I saw very nice people turn into demons. That industry was not for me

6 Likes

Dawn is right up the road from me. She lives in Sacramento (I think) and I work in Stockton. It’s unfortunate I can’t just say hello to her. I understand she has to be careful with fans and etc. I have a lot of respect for her.

2 Likes

Well, Dawn did say her mom told her the industry was nothing but the Devil’s playground. And I believe it. Most artists are victims of it already, then toss in the totally chaotic PF business house and you’ve got a recipe for financial disaster.

As for the Seth book I wouldn’t hold my breath. Consider the track record. We have been teased this book was coming soon for about 30 years now, lol. It’s deeper than waiting for a new P-Funk album to come out. Give it up the ship done sailed off years ago.

1 Like

Reading it as well. She breaksdown the vocal for the song “Deep” produced with Junie. Great inside stuff. Big coffee table book.

1 Like

Is there any info in the book about the unreleased Brides album from the mid 80’s with Do Fries Go with that Shake, and French Kiss on? Thanks

There is a chapter called “Shadows on the Wall” which had me excited. But that was it. No details about possible song titles for the album. Just a light mention about sessions of a third Brides release. Seems to me from what i read thus far, the Brides were done even before they got started. Unfortunately. No

2 Likes

Thanks, I noticed with French Kiss that appears on George Clinton’s Cinderella Theory 1989 album, the synth is identical to Jimmy G & the Tackheads Break My Heart from 1985, so I’m pretty certain that’s when French Kiss was recorded.
Do Fries Go with that Shake, and Hey Good Lookin were recorded then too, and they appear on the 4th albums tracklisting

1. French Kiss
  2. Doing It In The Mud
  3. Johnny Was A Pimp
  4. Run Johnny
  5. Hey Good Lookin’
  6. Do Fries Go With That Shake
1 Like