The Dawn Silva book - Shadows On The Wall / The Funk Queen

As @Biminiroad mentioned a while back, Dawn Silva is working on a book as well. According to Dawn it will be finished winter 2020 and be called Shadows On The Wall - Memoirs Of A Funk Queen.

You can read a snippet from it on her fb.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2322679251186778&id=100003341769903

Thanks. The Dr’s book was really good. But, it only scratched the surface, especially during the peak commercial years. These books about the girls are gonna blow the cobwebs off our minds with the real deal and not the dildo (as the Queen used to tell me).
Speaking of which. There’s a lot of folks out here nowadays walking around talking about they are the Queen of Funk. A lot of journalists are naming them that. They may be a queen of it. But there is only one Queen Of Funk.

2 Likes

That book has had some years in the making. Looking forward for it to drop.

I agree that the Queen Of Funk today is Dawn Silva no doubt, but realistically there’s only one Queen Of Funk and that’s Malliah Franklin.

2 Likes

No disrespect to Dawn at all. I’m mostly concerned about all these articles u see in the press. I recall somebody calling Chaka the Queen Of Funk. She funky for sure. But the original Queen will always be Mal God rest her soul. Mallia was like a female version of George. A true visionary. Dawn got that visionary spirit too. A true funkstress. Sheroe. And they all are unsung. Muggs don’t know what time it is. When I was in radio the original “Funkentercepter” came by the station one night to do some drops. Man she started getting that spirit it was like being in presence of an angel or somn.

2 Likes

Dawn posted another part of her upcoming book on fb.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2823135491141149&id=100003341769903

2 Likes

Nice thanks! She said it was coming in 2020.

1 Like

It’s finally possible to pre-order Dawn’s book over at dawnsilva.com. It’s planned to be released in late February. Seems like they changed the title to just The Funk Queen.

The price is $100. Pretty steep. But it got over 500 pages and over 300 photos. Not bad at all.

Here’s some images of the book from her site.

Check this fb video where Dawn presents the book. It’s huge!!

6 Likes

Wow, not cheap but does look really good.

2 Likes

I believe she will get every penny. Muggs are hungry for this one.

2 Likes

Dawn and Jeanette Perkins (Washington) were on the Hartford, CT radio station WRTC last Friday to talk about the book.

4 Likes

Got it yesterday. Only read a couple of chapters so far, seems to be a lot of not so flattering stuff about GC and the organisation. Interesting, sometimes hard to read, but definitely important. I hope she will release a smaller and cheaper version later down the line so more people can read it.

Here’s some images.

To get a feeling of the size of the book I put it beside GC’s book. That’s the hard cover version, although it looks like a small paperback version. :smile:

9 Likes

Can’t wait to read it, those pics are outrageous.

3 Likes

Just got my copy of the book. Ms Silva autographed it, along with the copy #. Mine is 48. I’m hoping my fellow Funkers will support Ms Silva, and we can discuss the book. Looking forward to reading it. Over 500 pages. Ever funking on!

5 Likes

Got my copy,#48. I’ve only read bits and pieces of it. Lots of photos and story’s. Really big book, Ms Silva signed it. How it’s packaged is really cool too. One particular story really fucked me up. Michael Hampton stabbed her. Yeah stabbed her. A must have for all of us.

3 Likes

I got #18. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haven’t gotten to that Hampton story yet. But yeah there’s a lot of stories that’s messed up. Besides racist bullshit, there’s also a lot of men in this book that are really fucked up. :angry:

2 Likes

100% agree.

The book is quite simply phenomenal. I can honestly say in all my years of funkin, I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s like this personal testament. She should get some kind of award for best funkumentary book.
The book is a treatise on the whole music industry. How it’s run. The misogyny. Both the Brides and Parlet should have been huge. According to Dawn, both were sabotaged from within. Now I know there are 2 sides to every story. I haven’t heard the other side. One thing is for sure. Mallia may be the first we called Queen of Funk. But there is room around the throne. They are all Queens. And I will never view Parliament-Funkadelic in the same light ever again.
It’s a magnificent work. The pics, the info. Outstanding. It’s an emotional roller coaster of a read.

6 Likes

Emotional rollercoaster is a good description. I find myself happy to see the band on top of the world, then in the next paragraph, I’m like damn man, how do you do people especially women like that. Junie slapping one of the girls, clip stealing panties and selling them. Sly just straight tripping altogether. You forum members need to get this.

1 Like

Some of it will sting ya good. I’m running the full gamut of emotions over here. There were parts of the Gap band stuff that actually had me in tears. So personal. Dawn has shared alot of herself with us. When they moved over to Burbank that puppy story got to me. I haven’t picked it up since. Peck lightly.

2 Likes

I’m on chapter 32 “The Kid From Giza”. I try to read a little bit just before going to sleep. Yes Dawn shares a lot of herself. I wish I could tell her what a great job she did. She did a great service for the funk community

1 Like