The Awesome Power Of A Fully-Operational Mothership

Continuing the discussion from If Anybody Gets Funked Up - long version:

Tapoafoam is a good album , some strong cuts
. But Sloppy Seconds is in my opinion. The master cut , it has a beautiful melody , especially right around the bass solo and guitar solo
.I was suprised by the song.

2 Likes

:point_up:t3:Yeah! Also a really great mix on the bass!!!

2 Likes

TAPOAFOM has some great cuts. My favorite probably has to be Funky Kind. If I recall correctly, George talked about it in his book, that that track was actually supposed to be in the Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind movie but something didn’t work out, I don’t quite remember. But either way, they missed out by not having that track on their soundtrack!!! That song funkin’ rules!

2 Likes

It is a strong addition I must say , I admit to being old iron butt with recent stuff and was ready to dismiss with a derisive snort , of course it flew out and kicked me right in the onions and

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to start a thread about “recent stuff”. I know how it has been received by the public and casual fans, but the true funkateers who converge in places like this should get a chance to weigh in.

I’m a fossil , I confess I only have ears for the OG Pfunk . I’m not above. Checking out recommendations.

Start that thread up! But you’ll need to define when “recent” begins… I tend to think of CINDERELLA THEORY as “recent” because it’s so far removed from the classic sound… and it’s 30 years old now!!!

1 Like

Yeah we should start a discussion on what’s recent p :smile:

Love this album. When it came out it felt to me that TAPOAFOM was like a new Parliament album (more slick/clean) and that Dope Dogs was like a new Funkadelic album (more raw).

I first got the CD (didn’t know there also was a vinyl version) and I remember thinking that the artwork (especially this stuff below) looked like it was made for an LP. One image per side, just like on Gloryhallastoopid. To bad they didn’t make the LP that way.

tapoafom_insert

That would have been great! :grin:

2 Likes

I recently revisited this. Spun the red vinyl. George and Tracey and few of the folks on the inside artwork signed it for me damn near 25 years ago. This project to me had a really strong commercial appeal to it. I believe there must have been some promotional shenanigans with it. Critics either loved it or hated it.
When I heard Summer Swim I said well this is gonna be a smash. Single did not even chart. WHAT?!?!?!?
If you listen closely to Get Your Funk On you will hear a groove that is Music For My Mother.

3 Likes

Amazing, I thought the exact same thing.
Oh and Uncle Charlie absolutely rips New Spaceship!

4 Likes

Mathematics- is that Amp on helium vocal? My favourite cut.

Tidal has ‘Sloopy Seconds’ :joy:

1 Like

What you wanted in the first place?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

15 character minimum for a reply seems a bit stiff. I’m a laugher not a talker, sure.

1 Like

Such an under rated album. Lots of my friends dismiss it & i always beg them to reconsider! Tge demos someone posted recently were cool to hear too.

Was a random buy & then saw the p for tge first time shortly after, what a show!

Finally got a relatively affordable vinyl copy yesterday!

2 Likes

My favorites are the If Anybody remix and Funky Kind. I love the music video for If Anybody. one of my favorite music videos. “if there’s a curfew then we’ll all go to jail”

4 Likes

I love that album. I love Sloppy Seconds as well. Bernie and Bootsy made that song.

3 Likes