The Authorized P-Funk Song Reference

With due respect to Danny (who is my man and fellow keyboardist in the funk), Jerome would have to tell me personally that it’s not him on “Munchies” in order for me to believe it. That groove is classic Bigfoot…

3 Likes

Well at least he does give a disclaimer in the forward there is gonna be some margin for error lol.
Aw hell, what do I know he’s alot closer to the source than I’ll ever be.

3 Likes

Daniel Bedrosian’s new book is right here in my lap. Im speechless. No mere words can describe this. No way. We all needed this. Get u a copy in a P-Funk hurry!!! Thanx much Danny!!!

2 Likes

I’m so jealous that you already got the book!

Yeah, that must have contributed to the decision, and rightfully so.

So I started listening to each song as they appear in the book, trying to match who’s singing and playing what. Just like a nerd :nerd_face: :smile: . haha at least a p-funk-nerd.

I noticed that Homicide isn’t in the book. Too bad, was really curious about that one.

3 Likes

I don’t have it yet I was just reading alot of the excerpts up at amazon. I had Comin’ Round The Mountain going today and swear I can hear some of The Parliaments singing on it.
Oh well.

2 Likes

Yeah man, I’ve had so much fun just reading the sample on Amazon. Can’t wait to get my hands on the actual thing.

How deep does it go? How much does it cover?

2 Likes

I agree. It was a huge undertaking, and there’s bound to be an error here or there. In the sample I read, I noticed a minor typo in a song title [the “k” on Funk was omitted, it reads “If You Got Fun, You Got Style”]. And on the song Cholly, it has Skeet listed on bass, but Skeet said in his Youtube interview with Scott Goldfine (Part 1 around the 39:08 mark) that Bootsy is on bass.

I really appreciate Danny doing this. Again, many thanks.

3 Likes

I saw that too :joy:

I think I may have seen it incorrect somewhere else but.

*it was a review of Hardcore Jollies, by one Ned Ragett. Mind, he also claims that album suffers from missing Eddie Hazel…

2 Likes

It’s a great book overall, though there are some notable artists missing from the book. The one omission that stands out to me is C2B3 (Bernie Worrell with Les Claypool, Buckethead, and Bryan Mantia, for those unaware).

3 Likes

That’s funny, especially after hearing this (should be queued up at the 56:11 mark) :smile:.

3 Likes

Lol! Again, Love Danny. Love Boogie. That said, Jerome played this drum fill. Period.

5 Likes

Fair play, Swang. You picked a good hill to die on. :grinning:

Very difficult to argue against that - those fills are deadly; sounds like a top, top level drummer. One with very big feet.

5 Likes

I’ve always thought (and heard) that it was Jerome.

2 Likes

If anybody hasn’t purchased the book yet, I found this sale code for 35% off over at rowman.com. Valid until December 31. 23joysale

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve spent nearly half a century thinking it was Jerome. It’s a flashy fill, but Boog could play at a professional level (that’s apparently him on Flashlight on the Passaic show) and having no primary source counter evidence Ima smile, raise an eyebrow, and go with Boog. :grin:

3 Likes

I got my copy today, great work by Danny!
There’s definitely some surprises in here but my ears agree with almost everything he’s got in here.
There’s a few tracks where I swear I’ve only ever heard one guitar and there’s two players listed or my gut tells me it’s possibly someone else but I’ll wait for other people to read it and we can discuss.
Overall this an amazing resource and an incredible piece of work!

5 Likes

If that is da Boog then he was a helluva drummer, too. Hits them skins hard.

A quick note on the foreword: it’s a thing of beauty.

Thank you Boatman for the discount link. It has gone with my demand for (early, I hope) Christmas present :grinning:

4 Likes

Thank God to Danny for putting the P down in history.

7 Likes

Just to say that Danny was on Rickey Vincent’s show on KPFA last week - you can listen back here:
The History of Funk :star_struck:

4 Likes