P-Funk stuff in RPM Magazine 1970-1971

Found some great P related stuff from 1970 and 1971 in the magazine RPM. RPM (standing for Records, Promotion, Music) was a Canadian music/trade magazine, based in Toronto, that started way back in 1964.

Around 1970-1971, GRT of Canada distributed Westbound in Canada and Ron Scribner were their manager. Seems to be thanks to them that P-Funk got mentioned a lot.

RPM Volume 13 No. 7 (April 4, 1970)

This first article is about GRT of Canada opening their Montreal branch. P-funk played at that event. Not a lot more about the p, but apparently anyone that was loaded snapped out of it after a few bars. :smile:

2 Likes

RPM Volume 14 No. 2 (August 29, 1970)

The P also played at a GTR sales conference. Funkadelic is just mentioned but there’s a pic of the crowd, not really the wildest crowd :slightly_smiling_face: . And then there’s another pic of Boladian.

1 Like

RPM Volume 14 No. 11 (October 31, 1970)

Not much info about this either, but a nice pic. Bernie and Ray at some kind of promotion thing at the Music World record store. Actually, this was the first Music World that they opened. It was in Toronto and they opened it that same year (don’t know the exact date). Music World would later go on and open more than 100 stores all over Canada.

1 Like

RPM Volume 15 No. 16 (June 5, 1971)

A short news article about p-funk’s UK tour. But what really got me was the last sentence:

Funkadelic return to their Windsor/Detroit base the latter part of June at which time it is expected they will release a video film of their performance…

Say what?! :exploding_head: . @Dan.Wooridge, I know that’s one of your favorite tours. Something to dig up perhaps? :wink:

3 Likes

RPM Volume 16 No. 13 (June 13, 1971)

Nice to see the announcement of new members Harold Beane, Tyrone Lampkin and Prakash John. But I never heard before about that they were planing an African tour! Maybe influenced by James Brown’s trip the year earlier.

2 Likes

Mind-boggling stuff thanks!

1 Like

Would you be able to say who we can identify as Prakash John? I can’t find any other reference to him using Search. Thanks!

EDIT: oh dang! I thought you were saying that he had become a member here! Great articles anyway, thanks for posting them. :blush:

1 Like

What would’ve been so great if Prakash John were a member here at the forum. :smile:

Well, my goal is simple: to find out exactly which songs he contributed to on “Chocolate City“ and “America eats its young.“ Still hoping to track him down, wish me luck! If I learn anything, I will of course post here, and if anyone else knows, I’d sure be grateful to find out.

1 Like

I guess you will get your answers when Danny releases his book :wink:. But you should still try to find him, he probably has some awesome stories to tell.

1 Like

Wow, I’ll definitely be on that! I’m still going to try to get in touch with him as I’d like to know what bass he was using, and again with his permission I’ll report what he has to say here for anyone who’s interested.

2 Likes