Maggot Brain OrgMusic reissue is coming in September

Pre-order is up for the OrgMusic reissue of Maggot Brain. Ship date is around 9/7/26. I’m sure there will be other retailers selling other exclusive variants.

https://orgmusic.com/collections/vinyl-lp/products/maggot-brain?variant=46629761810593

Also, the remastered version is up on streaming sites with only “Can You Get To That” available right now.

From the listing:
For this definitive 2026 reissue, the album was mastered directly from analog tape, preserving the raw power, depth, and atmosphere of the original recordings with extraordinary detail. A longtime holy grail for collectors, Maggot Brain receives the treatment it has long deserved

3 Likes

Nice! No doubt, this is the release a lot of people have been waiting for. I really wish they will continue with the rest of the catalog. A 4LP AEIY anyone? :sweat_smile:

Saw that they’re also doing a SACD. Good for people that’s into that. And they also have Maggot Brain coffee, hahaha ok..

3 Likes

Is the SACD stereo or multichannel? I know it mentions hybrid, but I’m not sure if that means normal CD stereo layer and a higher quality stereo layer or if it’s stereo and multichannel type of deal

3 Likes

Hybrid means that there’s both a normal CD layer and a SACD layer. The SACD layer could be multichanneled, but probably it’s just stereo in this case. Surely they would’ve mentioned it if it had more channels.

3 Likes

Already ordered Lp and cd.

3 Likes

What LP variant did you pre order? I will go for the 2LP 45 RPM.

2 Likes

I ordered the 2x LP 45 RPM.

3 Likes

Here are the mockups of the Org Music variants (including the store exclusives).










And then there’s the In Groove variant. Black single disc, with a nicer tip-on jacket. Like what they did with Free Your Mind.

Here’s a couple of links for EU and UK pre-orders: hhv, juno, rough trade.

1 Like

Did you see that they’re having listening parties? A bunch of them all over the US. Between September 11-13. There’s apparently also giveaways and prizes. :slight_smile:

The listening parties

Alabama
Seasick Records — Birmingham
10,000 Hz Records — Opelika

Arizona
Stinkweeds — Phoenix
The “In” Groove — Phoenix
Tracks In Wax — Phoenix
Vinyl Record Dude — Scottsdale
Zia Records — Tempe
Zia Records — Tucson (Speedway)

Arkansas
Control — Little Rock

California
Traffic Records — Atascadero
Run Out Groove Records — Burbank
Fingerprints — Long Beach
Common Wave Hi-Fi — Los Angeles
Funky Groove Store — Los Angeles
1-2-3-4 Go! Records — Oakland
M-Theory Music — San Diego
Soul Side Vinyl — San Diego
Needle To The Groove — San Jose
Streetlight Records — San Jose
Boo Boo Records — San Luis Obispo
Streetlight Records — Santa Cruz

Colorado
Twist & Shout Records — Denver
Wax Trax — Denver
Sold Out Vinyl Records — Englewood

Connecticut
GRAILS — New Haven

Florida
Tonevendor — St. Augustine
Sweat Records — Miami
Park Ave CDs — Orlando
Rust & Wax Record Shop — Palm Beach
Rearview Vintage & Vinyl — Tallahassee

Georgia
Housewolf Records — Woodstock

Idaho
The Record Exchange — Boise

Illinois
Exile on Main Street — Champaign
Bucket O’ Blood — Chicago
Out Of The Past Records — Chicago
Pinwheel Records — Chicago
Reckless Records — Chicago (N. Milwaukee)
Shug Records — Chicago
Animal Records — Evanston
Crooked Arm Vinyl & Tap — Lisle
Waiting Room Records — Normal
Rolling Stones — Norridge

Indiana
Landlocked Music — Bloomington
Psychedelic Cellar — Marion

Kansas
Love Garden Sounds — Lawrence
Spektrum Muzik — Wichita

Louisiana
Euclid Records — New Orleans

Maryland
KA-CHUNK!! Records — Annapolis
The Sound Garden — Baltimore

Massachusetts
GOOD TASTE Records — Boston
vinyl index. — Somerville

Michigan
Flat, Black, & Circular — East Lansing
Ripe Records — Grosse Pointe Park
Out There — Sawyer
Street Corner Music — Oak Park

Minnesota
Down In The Valley — Golden Valley
Agharta Records — Minneapolis
Electric Fetus — Minneapolis

Mississippi
The End of All Music — Jackson
The End of All Music — Oxford

Missouri
Josey Records — Kansas City
Mills Record Company — Kansas City
Vintage Vinyl — St. Louis
Euclid Records — Webster Groves

Montana
Cactus Records & Gifts — Bozeman

Nevada
Zia Records — Las Vegas (Rainbow)

New Jersey
The Score Records — Oaklyn

New Mexico
Mottainai — Santa Fe

New York
Finer Sounds — Brooklyn
Vinyl Veritas — Brooklyn
Generation Records — New York City
Rough Trade Below — New York City
Darkside Records — Poughkeepsie
Not Donuts Records — Stanfordville
The Sound Garden — Syracuse
Sound House Records — Troy

North Carolina
Lunchbox Records — Charlotte, NC
Sell Your Soul Records — Mooresville
Schoolkids Records — Raleigh
Schoolkids Records — Wilmington
Yellow Dog Discs — Wilmington

North Dakota
Orange Records — Fargo

Ohio
The Vinyl Groove Records — Bedford
Used Kids Records — Columbus
Omega Music — Dayton
Plaid Room Records — Loveland
Haskins House Records — Portsmouth
Culture Clash Records — Toledo
Resignation Records — Troy

Oklahoma
Guestroom Records — Norman
Guestroom Records — Oklahoma City
Guestroom Records — Edmond

Oregon
B-Side Records & Vintage — Milwaukee
Music Millennium — Portland
Paul’s Boutique — Portland
Produce Records — Portland, OR

Pennsylvania
Siren Records — Doylestown
Young Ones Records — Kutztown
Repo Records — Philadelphia
Attic Record Store — Pittsburgh
Needle & Bean — Pittsburgh
Rosie’s Records — Pittsburgh

South Carolina
Horizon Records — Greenville

South Dakota
Black Hills Vinyl — Rapid City

Tennessee
Dallas Vinyl Love — Chattanooga
The Great Escape — Nashville
Vinyl Tap — Nashville
Yellow Racket Records — Chattanooga

Texas
Antone’s Record Shop — Austin
Breakaway Records — Austin
CD Warehouse Records & Tapes — Arlington
End of an Ear — Austin
Good Records — Dallas
Hybrid Records — Corpus Christi
Record Town — Fort Worth
Static ATX — Liberty Hill

Utah
Graywhale Entertainment — Taylorsville
Lavender Vinyl — Ogden

Vermont
Autumn Records — Winooski

Virginia
AFK Books & Records — Virginia Beach
BUMRUSH Vinyl Shop — Stafford
Melody Supreme — Charlottesville
Plan 9 Music — Richmond

Washington
Easy Street Records — Seattle
Rainy Day Records — Olympia
Royal Records — Seattle
Sonic Boom Records — Seattle
Spin Cycle Records — Seattle

Washington, D.C.
Byrdland Records

West Virginia
Admiral Analog’s — Shepherdstown

Wisconsin
Abraxas Wax — Eau Claire
Lilliput Records — Milwaukee
Strictly Discs — Madison
Volta Records — Greenfield

2 Likes

Read on the Hoffman forums that the SACD will not be peak limited like the standard CDs / streaming. Quite pleased to hear that. I wonder why the non-SACD digital formats need to have limiting. Maybe their distributor is concerned with how it sounds on earbuds or something.

2 Likes

Just got my copy, can confirm it is not peak limited. I got the hybrid CD/SACD but I actually don’t have the hardware to read the SACD layer lol. Will be doing some light peak limiting of my own when I put it on my phone, although it doesn’t really even need it. Just has way more headroom than it really needs. Haven’t had a chance to listen to it in full, but first impressions:
-The sound is a lot more well rounded than the cardboard sleeve release I have.
-It is roughly 2% faster (or at least Can You Get To That is)
-There seems to be basically zero noise reduction done and there is quite a bit of hiss.

All said, I will probably be doing some light noise reduction and limiting and what-have-you but I’m happy to do that if it means I end up with a better sound. And from what I’ve heard so far, I definitely prefer it to the copy I had.

Edit: Looks like the left and right channel are also flipped from the older release I had.

1 Like

Damn, there’s a hiss? That’s pretty bad.

Interesting that it’s faster. Wonder which one has the correct speed. Will check my OG when I get home. That’s around 3 seconds on Can You Get To That right?

I haven’t received my copy yet, but it will be interesting to compare the right/left channels with the OG.

Read about this in a different forum and found this in a review of the new pressing:

“Over the years, some reissues of Maggot Brain have reversed the left and right channels. There are even indications that some of the earliest pressings may have had the stereo image swapped. This makes it difficult for me to say which version is correct, although one poster on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums says that a white label promo copy—which should be as close to an original first pressing as possible—places Hazel’s lead guitar on “Maggot Brain” in the right channel. The new Org pressing has this reversed, with the guitar coming out of the left. [UPDATE: Additional posters on the Hoffman Forums report that their early pressings have Hazel coming out of the left, including on a 1971 US Pitman pressing, a 1971 Canadian pressing, and an original German pressing.]”

3 Likes

I have an original 1971 US pressing and Eddie is on the left, the 1975 repress was the last to have this correct. All others up until the new ORG reissue reversed this as well as had a different speed on the whole album.
When I got my original pressing a few years back I felt like I was actually hearing the album for the first time!

3 Likes

Read over at the Hoffman forum that a lot of people are getting warped 45 copies. Starting to get nervous over here. :grimacing:

1 Like

I was afraid of this. These new vinyl reissues have been seriously hit-or-miss.

1 Like

I saw that and was concerned. My order from In Groove hadn’t shipped so I cancelled it and got it from Amazon (figured would be easier to return if there was an issue) No noticeable warps on mine. Hopefully you’re good.

2 Likes

Yeah about 3 seconds. The hiss is definitely the worst on the titular track. There’s also very faint ghost echo before some of the tracks where you can very faintly hear the track before it actually starts. From what I understand, that’s caused by layers of tape being pressed against each other for long periods of time and bleeding into each other. You can also hear something reminiscent of a punch-out at the end of most tracks where you hear a little pop and the hiss stops or lowers in volume.

2 Likes