Lyrical SPECulation (put on your sunglasses, folks)

Completely fascinating. I’ve been messing with Rumpofsteelskin for years trying to figure it out. I even asked George himself about it. All he was able to confirm was the chant “fire crystal hot”. I always thought the part you are talking about was “ice can be red hot”. For some reason my funkentelechy has always told me it was Bootsy that came up with Motor Booty and the term P-Funk. I know at the 3:40 mark of Tear The Roof Off there is a lone male voice coming out of the right channel lagging behind the rest of the chorus. He seems to be saying “funk”, sounds like Glen Goins. He does it again and again and it’s really pronounced at about the 4:46 mark.

As for the Unfunky UFO lead in, give a listen to that Archie Ivy piece Casablanca put out in the 70’s where he was pretending to be GC. He gives a great run down of the whole Mothership/Clones concept. Says the planets lined up on Night of The Thumpasaurus Peoples and they came out of the pyramids to reclaim the Funk.

We used to think the 3 blind meeces was a reference to Calvin, Fuzzy & Grady. Water pipe may refer to some drugs, since he’s talking about a nickel bag full. In fact, alot of the funk is referencing drugs. The term P-funk is a play on p-blow.

Back to Rumpofsteelskin:
Now you can dance here underwater down the bimini road
while some surf ??? technically I’m told
where ice can be red hot and fire can put out water
where thinking of thinking what you think is not what you aughta
harmonious influences, we are the clones of dr funkenstein saying
a hard head makes a soft rump of steel skin

I think Garry is chanting “golem man” all thru the song.

What is the character Rumpofsteelskin actually saying at the 2:30 mark? Other than he’s got the motor booty and he’s ???.

At about the 2:52 mark, the starchild comes back on:
Oh, and that’s how it goes in the land of no nose
??? body snatchers and antibodies can’t stop us now

After that I get garbled up. I always thought he ended with “don’t have to take no pills and thangs”.

I have been wrangling with it since I heard it over 40 years ago. I had been in contact with Junie years ago and he said one day we could sit down and he would give me lyrics of the Motor Booty Affair album, unfortunately he passed before it could happen. That whole record need deciphering. Well, it IS underwater I guess lol.

We need some kind of lyric forum on here. I would love to get the rap he does on Lunchmeataphobia. Got some of it. But he’s so far under the mix I can’t hear the rest. I’ll be willing to bet GC couldn’t even tell me lol. I think he has done these things on purpose knowing we’d be combing over the awesome tracks for Eternity.

1 Like