Tarantino and P.Funk

Continuing the discussion from Super Stupid lyrics:

FreedomFlower has talked about Tarantino and P.Funk… and I thought… nice topic!!! :owl: :star_struck: :owl:

Here are some Quotes I’ve found:

“Brothas Be, Yo Like George, Ain’t That Funkin’ Kinda Hard On You?”, page 329/330:

When we put out the record², we scheduled a release party the week of the Grammy Awards. Everyone came: the old Motown royalty like Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson, and then new talents like RZA, from the Wu-Tang Clan, and the film director Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino is a huge P-Funk fan. Years later, he invited us onto the set of Django Unchained, and he and Reginald Hudlin and Jamie Foxx had a kind of cutting contest to see who knew more about P-Funk. I don’t remember who won. They all did pretty well. But you can’t even imagine how fucking crazy that shit was, Jamie out in a cotton field with that blue Fauntleroy suit on, bopping around to “Aqua Boogie.” Jamie let us use his home studio to record some new music. His mother cooked for us. A few weeks later, Samuel Jackson came to see us play in New Orleans and he took the microphone during “Maggot Brain” and did a recitation of his moment-of-clarity speech from Pulp Fiction.

² How Late Do U Have 2BB4UR Absent?

https://universalattractions.com/artists/george-clinton-and-parliament-funkadelic/ >>>

And then there are many friends with whom George linked up in various stops along his travels. “I did ‘Let the Good Times Roll’ with RZA and the Chili Peppers out in L.A. while I was working on some soundtrack stuff for Quentin Tarantino,” he shares. “We cut it at the guitar player’s house! Then I hooked up with Sly where he lives now back in Northern California. He sang on ‘Ain’t That Peculiar,’ but plays keyboards all over the project.”

→ What soundtrack is George referring to…(?) I’ve chekced the Kill Bill soundtracks due to fact that they were compiled with the help from RZA… but no exclusive P.Funk stuff at all… :woozy_face:… maybe the stuff wasn’t released officially?

The only P.Funk track I found was “Maggot Brain” on the ‘Hell Ride’ Soundtrack… but it’s no real tarantino flick, he’s only the producer… https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Hell_Ride_soundtrack

→ Does anybody knoe the exact date from the above mentioned Samuael Jackson P.Funk show?

3 Likes

Having scanned the soundtracks he’s done, it seems Tarantino has studiously ignored the P and makes little occasional references rather than put it in his fillums.

Maybe the legal swamp that is George and co made him think better of it.

On a blog by(?) Reginald Hudlin there’s a post with pictures of Quentin Tarantino and Samuel L. Jackson backstage before the March 8th 2012 show at the House of Blues in New Orleans where he recounts similar events. This also happens to be right when Django Unchained was being filmed at National Historic Landmark Evergreen Plantation in New Orleans (according to Wikipedia “Filming” section). From this, I’d assume it’s the same show, although I didn’t find a video for “Maggot Brain” (didn’t look very much though).

2 Likes

Nice pics :+1:

Great link! Yeah, I think you’re right. That date was the only show they did in New Orleans at the same time Django Unchained was being filmed (November 2011 to March 2012)

It’s strange that he’s referring to a soundtrack, because all those tracks ended up on the Gangsters Of Love album. Although RZA was on the track Heaven and not on Let The Good Times Roll

1 Like