P-Funk All Stars ‎- Live 83 bootleg

So I finally got this boot. It got “Loopzilla” and “Standing On The Verge/Good To Your Earhole” as @OooBooBeeDoop mentioned.

First two tracks (“P Funk” and “Do That Stuff”) are missing, so it starts directly with “Cosmic Slop”. And from what I can tell the medley, “Give Up The Funk”, “Knee Deep”, “Atomic Dog” and “Flash Light” are the same as on the official record. I’m also pretty sure that “One Nation” is from the same show, but start and end time differ some. But “Maggot Brain” is different version! Probably from one of the other nights.

In order to try to make it easier to differentiate between them I made this table. :slight_smile:

Track CD Vinyl Bootleg
P Funk yes yes -
Do That Stuff yes yes -
Cosmic Slop yes yes yes
Medley yes yes yes
Give Up The Funk yes yes yes
Knee Deep yes yes yes
Standing On The Verge - - yes
Maggot Brain yes yes different version
Loopzilla - - yes
One Nation yes - yes
Atomic Dog yes yes yes
Flash Light yes yes yes

Given that this bootleg includes “Standing On The Verge” and “Loopzilla”, I’m pretty sure that this is the original radio broadcast. My copy was unfortunately pretty beat up, especially on “Maggot Brain”. But still a great boot and there’s still copies available on discogs.

For completeness, here’s what I got from the runout. It got “L-33389” etched in, which tells us that the stampers were probably made by the California based Greg Lee Processing. I compared with other records with roughly the same number (33389) and they where all made in 1989. So this boot is most probably also from 1989. The official record was released in 1990, so I suppose that makes sense that it was released around the same time.

It’s not the same version, but definitely from that tour. That track/solo can also be heard on the Washington show (in the first post) around 1:10:00.

2 Likes