No Maggot Brain at shows?

On several of the shows i seen on youtube the last 12 months they haven’t played Maggot Brain. What’s up with that? I get that they need to cut some songs if they have a time limit, but Maggot Brain? And now that Mike is back and all… Don’t know if it’s every show or just the ones I’ve seen.

As a side note, I also saw that Skeet was back. Awesome.

4 Likes

I think Skeet is just occasionally appearing as a guest (unless something has changed VERY recently???). I saw them recently in Bristol UK and he wasn’t with them. I have seen a bit of other youtube footage from other gigs where he was there though.

2 Likes

I won’t lie, I was a bit upset at the no Maggit Brain in London. Then again, I know lots of peepholes who would get down to Parliament but say what the funk is this if I played them Maggot Brain. I did and they have. Some peepholes is funny like that.

I’d have given much to hear Mike play it one more time. His was the first version I ever heard.

3 Likes

They didn’t play it in Bristol either, but I don’t think Mike was at that show. Infact we didn’t get Alice in my fantasies or Super Stupid either to name a few of the other early Funkadlic things they have played alot over the last few years. I guess without Blackbyrd there either they focused on the strengths of the musicians that were there.

Have to be honest it didn’t bother me though… there is SO much stuff from over the decades they could play…and Unfunky UFO was in there which always makes me happy :smiley:

3 Likes

The PF playlist nowadays has always been a bone of contention for me. I don’t get why they rely so heavy on the Shake the Gate stuff and barely any attention is paid to Medicaid Fraud Dog.

Danny will pull out an obscure classic from time to time at the Maggot intro. But most of what I want to hear blasting from the stage is at best a fantasy to me.

4 Likes

Psychotropic was beautiful. I’d heard it like but live it was mesmerising. Jaw on the floor.

No maggot brain. Buuuuuut on the plus side, Knee Deep. :metal::metal::metal:

I gained a new appreciation for Get Low but I agree with L: Shake the gate is probably my least favourite album. It is hard work. Medicated is probably the album I play the most at present.

1 Like

Psychotropic is masterful both live and on the album. I will revisit MFD from time to time. Nice record all the way around. I do like Gate, I just want mor MFD live. They were hitting pretty good for a minute when it first came out.

1 Like

Unfunky UFO though…

That would be on my PFunk setlist all day, If I got to choose. Jealous. :grinning:

Who did the lead or was it more a shared thing?

2 Likes

Yep same - Mothership Connection was the first album I heard and Unfunky UFO has always been a fave.

tbh no idea who was singing… was too busy dancing and singing along out of tune myself.

1 Like

Is the right answer :joy:

1 Like

I always liked it when they vary and change the setlist (actually I want them to do it even more) as long as they play Maggot Brain :smile: . Maybe I’m so used to that they play it every time. But they also play One Nation or Atomic Dog at every show, and if they wouldn’t play one of those I would be more like OK that’s unexpected and not What the… Can they do that?!.

Anyways. To hear Unfunky UFO would be really nice.

2 Likes

I’ve been a funketeer since ‘76 or ‘77…a PFunk concert without Maggot Brain or Cosmic Slop just wouldn’t seem right. And IHO, I wish there was a lot LESS of these ladies of the P — especially since the in bright neon color. When I come onto Mothership I am looking for musicianship…GUITARS, KEYS, HORNS & PERCUSSION, not millennial window dressing. Thanks, I needed that rant. :metal:t5::metal:t5::metal:t5:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Michael_Straughter!