Members' introduction

My name is Mike. I’m 56 years old. I live in the Detroit area, but on the other side of town from where George and the crew hung out. My earliest exposure to P-Funk were the big hits as they appeared on the radio like Tear the Roof off the Sucker, Flashlight, One Nation Under a Groove and Knee Deep. I found out that Funkadelic and Parliament were one band through Robert Christgau via his column in Creem magazine. He graded each of the Parliament Funkadelic albums from the 70’s. When 8-Tracks were being phased out in the early 80’s, I managed to pick up copies of Mothership Connection and Clones of Dr. Funkenstein. on the cheap.

A guy I worked with in the mid 80s introduced me to the Westbound releases but all things P-Funk were hard to find. Money was tight anyways. I had to content my self with the tapes my friend burned.

Then came the CD revolution. I started out with Funkadelic ‎– Music For Your Mother - Funkadelic 45s, Funkadelic ‎– The Best Of Funkadelic 1976-1981 and Parliament ‎– Tear The Roof Off (1974-1980). I expanded from there. Within three years I had a core collection and them some. This is most of my P Funk collection. There’s a few strays running around somewhere.

6 Likes