KISS fm P FUNK special broadcast in UK, 1990

The group at the 12 min mark is called Chill. It was some new jack one off group. Came out on the Orpheus label. I remembered the black color of the label with some rainbow colored writing on it. The song is called “Cold Fresh Groove”. This was the side 2 “underground groove” remix. I heard the song one afternoon on V-103 out of Atlanta. I called the station for 45 minutes until I finally got thru. Jerry Smokin’ B was the personality who played it. It made a little noise regionally then quickly faded.

When I first heard ADC Band, I swore it was PF. But somehow knew it wasn’t. Similar to Gap Band Oops Upside The Head. ADC Band had a few albums into the early 80’s. They grew out of another band called Black Nasty. They put out a pretty raw funk LP earlier in the 70’s. I’ve got the CD. It was a famiy affair of some sort.
I used to know one of the guys in the band in the early 2000. The one in the center of the photos between the two girls. I forgot his name. He was a good friend of Mallia Franklin and was rooming with her briefly at Atlanta. He says when they did Long Stroke they ran into Clinton in Detroit. He says George jokingly called him the “funk pirate”.

Like Dawn Silva says there’s a lot of funky sounding groups out there but it’s not “The Funk”. It is something about The Funk. When you hear it you will know it.

2 Likes

Unbelievable. He’s been trying to figure this song of for years and you know the artist, title, what the single looked like and you even called the radio station to get it played.

I tip my hat to you. You are the lumps in the gravy of the board.

Y’all know more than I do. Especially about the old Parliaments 60’s stuff and associated acts. I was never able to keep up with the old 45’s.

OooBooBeeDoop, colour me funk(ily) impressed - i will be ensuring that i add Chill’s Cold Fresh Groove (underground groove remix) to my collection as soon as i’ve finished this - thanks so much for solving an almost 30 year mystery, you & the rest of the boarders (silentboatman, seventieslord) who have contributed are very much appreciated. Was there any definitive conclusion on the “a dog is a dog is a dog” excert in part 2?

1 Like

I dunno about that dog is a dog. It sounds like I can almost call the lead vocal. It’s a voice I’ve heard before. An older group. Like an Instant Funk or Fatback vibe to it.

A lot of great stuff here! Almost to much, so I had to write it down :grin: . Here it is (tape 2 is simply copied from @Seventieslord).

Tape 1

00:00 Bootsy - Body Slam
03:00 Cosmic Cat
06:15 Godmoma Here
10:00 One nation
11:30 Chill - Cold Fresh Groove (Underground Groove Remix)
15:10 Rose Royce - Funkin’ Around
18:50 Chocolate City
21:10 J.S Theracon - Buckets O’duckats
24:00 If You Got Funk, You Got Style
26:30 Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
29:15 Ever-Ready - Flash Light (P. Funk Medley)
34:30 Scott & Raven - The Monkey Paw
37:10 Sweat Band - Jamaica
41:55 Play Me Or Trade Me
44:45 Knee Deep

Tape 2

00:00 Not Just Knee Deep
01:10 (unidentified)
04:35 ?? Return to the Planet of Bass by Maggotront?
05:10 Four Play
10:35 Funk 'N Bop
13:30 Disco To Go
16:30 Aqua Boogie
19:45 The Pinocchio Theory
23:55 P-Funk Wants to get Funked up (interlude)
24:10 George Clinton - Hysterical
26:10 Jungle Bass
29:30 (unidentified) - says “a dog is a dog is a dog”
33:30 Mad Dog Fire Department - Cosmic Funk
36:35 (unidentified)
39:20 Agony of Defeet
42:30 Hydraulic Pump
46:30 Betty Davis - Nasty Gal

Tape 3

Is “Hysterical B Sides” really Digital Underground? Can’t find it anywhere.

I’ll probably made some errors and missed stuff. But I’ll make this a wiki-post, so you can just go ahead and update it if you find anything (click on the green pencil symbol in the top right corner). Also we can add tape 3 when @darkerthanblue finds it. :slight_smile:

Amazing find! I really like this remix.

Hysterical B-Sides is not Digital Underground. The song is called Hysterical and it’s on the b-side of George Clinton’s Tweakin’ single.

Aaah yeah you’re right. I got that one a while back, but forgot about it. :joy:

Hey @darkerthanblue whether or not the unknown bits get identified, thanks for sharing this beefy fonk mix. I hope you find part 3.

1 Like

thanks for the Hysterical correction Stonedar - i’m currently rummaging through the archives for part 3 tho will have to have it translated to an uploadable format when found - and if MrSuperNobody can unearth that “taped KISS show (PA) by Bootsy from about 1990”, all are goodies would be done! Thanks again to all who’ve contributed to solving this conundrum for me - as i said, it’s only taken 30 years! And right, one of the main motivators was the quality of the mix, with even the non-canon material working really well i’ve always thought (Monkey Paw, the Rose Royce track, the Chill remix), anybody got any ideas re: the Flash Light/P Funk medley?

So just now I googled “Flash Light P Funk medley” and found it! :grinning:
It’s from 1987 and the group is called Ever-Ready.

2 Likes

Kudos to you silentboatman - adding it to my collection as soon as.

:point_up:t3:My system is set up for vinyl, I have no easy way of transferring cassette to digital. I hardly even digitise vinyl much these days. At a glance it looks like you did more than okay tho!!!:metal:t3:

:point_up:t3:Says it all really!:metal:t3:

Indeedly it does MrSuperNobody. Well found - i doff my cap…