Heavy Metal Funkason

Lastly, since it seems to fit here, the Funk Shop also sent along two “free gifts”. One was the Newburg sessions on CD (it’s just a homemade boot, great for someone who doesn’t have it on CD, but I do - albeit on the new blue-cover “live at MSG” release, not the actual Japanese CD).

The other was “George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic live in Switzerland 2001” on DVD. I’m skeptical about the origins of this show. The top left corner has a “Montreux Jazz Fest” logo (which you can barely read because the video quality is so poor) and the only time they were at Montreux was in 2004, according to Wikipedia.

The quality is bad. I mean, real bad. So incredibly pixelated, it looks like it was a .api file in 150x100 resolution scaled up to DVD format. You can’t tell it’s Garry Shider, but for the diaper. I know we are all interested in seeing videos of P-funk on stage, but this can’t even be in the 100 most essential video recordings of them. Awful. Who would want this? The audio is so bad I wouldn’t even want to rip it to add to my mp3 library.

But anyway, where is it from if not from Montreux Festival 2004? (coincidentally, I got that CD in the mail today, and they are not the same performance, and I’m inclined to trust the CD is correct since it matches the setlist on setlist.fm).