Discord & Rhyme podcast - track by track P-Funk discussion

Found this great podcast, Discord & Rhyme. Each episode they discuss a specific album for more than an hour, track by track. Two episodes are about P-Funk, Maggot Brain and Mothership Connection. Check it out, it’s great!

All other episodes can be found here Episode Archive — Discord & Rhyme: An Album Podcast.

2 Likes

Enjoying the Mothership episode. About halfway done. They got some pretty solid critique. Even though they get some of the personnel wrong I will cut 'em some slack on that. They think Bootsy & Jerome is the rhythm section throughout the whole record. And then they say Boogie is on The Thumps Bump.
Here is my understanding. TIki is drumming on that. Boogie is the bassist of Unfunky UFO & Handcuffs. Bone drumming on P.Funk & Thumpasaurus. Starchild I don’t know. They pretty much nailed the critique.

I was with 'em until they lambasted Handcuffs. But they got a cool podcast. I am gonna check out some more of their stuff.

To be fair Handcuffs was one of those tracks that took me probably 4 or 5 listens to get off my ass and jam to, so to say. I of course love it now but it is fairly disconnected with the vibe of the rest of the album IMO. If I remember correctly George said that it was a left-over track from CC, as he had just gotten done with that album but was still in the mood to record more stuff. So he then went on to record Mothership. At least I think that’s how it went.

2 Likes

He says in the memoirs he was hanging with a group of girls that included Marvin Gaye’s ex Jan. Janet McLaughlin was part of the clique, of whom he was dating. She kept telling him something to the effect of having to put handcuffs on him to keep him. I’d also be willing to bet that none of these olde snobbers has given serious listen to either Shake The Gate or Medicaid Fraud Dogg. Both fine efforts from a damn near 80 year old Dr Funk.

1 Like

I liked the Maggot Brain one well enough and was looking forward to Mothership but switched off after they hammered Handcuffs - yer man described Glen’s voice as ‘squeaky’.

Squeaky? Glen Goins? For shame. :roll_eyes:

1 Like