Current touring lineup

I haven’t been tracking P-Funk in a minute…really lost track of who’s currently playing with them.

This was last Spring’s lineup, when I saw them in London, give or take…

Benzel on drums
God’s weapon on rhythm guitar
Lige Curry - bass
Danny Bedrossian - keys
Michael Hampton- lead guitar
Star child Jnr - guitar and vocals
Uche- vocals
Brandi - vocals
Patavian - vocals
Tonysha - vocals
Greg Thomas- Sax and vocals
Greg Boyer - Trombone
Adidas guy (who was that guy?) - trumpet
Clip - bass vocals
Young Pop - vocals
Bouvier- vocals
George - hype master, bounce master, vocals.

2 Likes

Thank you.
Wow! Lige, Danny, Mike, & Clip are still holding down the fort.
Wasn’t Byrd back for a while?
I guess touring finally was too much on Bennie’s health.

Adidas guy is Bennie Cowan (a.k.a. Benzel’s dad).

Bennie is still there.

Lol! My bad. Glad to hear he’s still there.
Hey swang, I remember you man!

1 Like

Hey Bryce! Welcome back!

Starchild, Jr. is Garry’s son, Garrett Shider. Blackbyrd sat the last run but may be back for the upcoming dates.

1 Like

Yeah, Mike came back and replaced Blackbyrd in 2021. Would love to have both of them on stage. Mike could do Maggot Brain and Byrd could do Dog Star. :slightly_smiling_face:

Patavian hasn’t toured so much with the p lately. She decided to go back to college.

JS Williams, Blu Eye Extinction’s trumpet player, has actually been playing instead of Bennie on a bunch of shows lately. The band Blu Eye Extinction has also been touring with pfunk a lot.

And then we have Kevin Oliver on guitar. And of course TreyLewd and Trazae.

3 Likes

Ah yes! Thanks for the reminder. I did see that Mr. Williams stood in for Bennie. Hopeful that Bennie is ok.

Nice to see Mr. Boyer back with the Mob as well.

1 Like

Yes. Boyer being back is a big selling point for me. Never got the chance to see him live. I’d love to ask him Prince questions although I never would because I’m sure he’s sick of them!

4 Likes

Lol! We did a double bill show with Maceo a few years back. Greg is a super nice guy, but I avoided the Prince questions. Hehe…

2 Likes

Anyone know who the female drummer was who played with them here in Seattle last night? She tore it up but I couldn’t hear who she was or what band she plays with when they announced her. Band sounded awesome despite some technical difficulties with the sound overall. Fishbone kinda got the short end of the stick, lots of sound problems during their set. :frowning:

I know that Chitaa (Chita Zaima) played with them in Seattle. Could that have been the one you saw? She’s a 14 year old kid.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvWsN3aPnKX/

Welcome to the forum!

Band sounded awesome despite some technical difficulties with the sound overall. Fishbone kinda got the short end of the stick, lots of sound problems during their set.

We arrived shortly after the doors opened and they kept us waiting in the lobby (with no AC) for almost an hour. As we were waiting to get in, one of the security guys said that the band’s bus broke down, so they were late getting set up. (Not certain if it was Fishbone or P-Funk)

There was some kind of sound check going on while we were waiting in the lobby, but Fishbone’s sound crew was still doing a ton of checks in front of the crowd once they let us in and they started about half an hour late.

Fishbone keyboardist Chris Dowd was very noticeably frustrated, based on the gesturing I gather he didn’t have any keys in his monitors, though they were in the house mix. Not sure if they ever were able to identify and fix the problem, the crew seemed to be stumped.

Once P-Funk started, Danny seemed to have monitor troubles as well, but I think they got them resolved pretty quickly.

1 Like

I know that Chitaa (Chita Zaima) played with them in Seattle. Could that have been the one you saw? She’s a 14 year old kid.

Yes, that’s who it was. I was at the Seattle show too. She sat in on “Red Hot Mama”

1 Like

yes, thanks so much! appreciate the help.

1 Like

I saw many shows in the 90’s where they did both “Fly On” (aka “Dog Star”) and “Maggot Brain”, miss those days with the full P-Funk Guitar Army, not just Mike and Byrd, but Garry, Boogie and sometimes Billy too!

There was only one female singer at the Seattle show, I think it was Tonysha Nelson. Bennie was definitely there and the P-Funk horns were in full effect. They got to stretch out on “Flash Light”, “P-Funk” and “Night of the Thumpasorus Peoples” among others. Mike Hampton sounded great too, delivering classic renditions of the solos from “Maggot Brain”, “Knee Deep”, “Red Hot Mama”, etc.

3 Likes