Could you point Dr Funkenstein out to me?

I think people generally associate Dr Funkenstein with George in the wings on the front of the Clones album. However, I noticed the official pin is labeled “Clone Head.”

Could someone confirm this for me: Is Dr Funkenstein the one in all white?

1 Like

Damn. That puts an entirely different slant on things.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel somewhat confident about it, but I kind of wanted to hear other people’s thoughts because I might be missing something. I looked over the comic from Funkentelechy, but I didn’t see a name associated with the one counting (The Count/Countracula/Count Funkula maybe?).

There is another image where he’s in the white outfit with some schematics which feels very grand/divine architect. However, there’s also another image with George in the wings holding a test tube.

Haha, the PCU (P Cinematic Universe) version of Frankenstein vs Frankenstein’s monster. History is bound to rePeat itself I suppose… maybe the winged GC is supposed to be another version of Star Child? Come to think of it… isn’t the winged version referred to as Star Child in the Funkentelechy comic?

Edit: I just checked and I had it mixed up. It seems to refer to the non-winged GC as Star Child and the Star Wars-esque lore at the end of the comic states that Dr. Funkenstein provided Star Child with the Bop Gun. This seems to imply that the winged GC who appears/narrates in the comic is Dr. Funkenstein.

3 Likes

I think Star Child is already holding the Bop Gun by that point so it’s doesn’t quite feel like a smoking (bop) gun to me, although, it does make me wonder if it’s Dr Funkenstein when he says “My Mellow Maggots”.

1 Like

Yeah, I get what you mean. My point was there are 2 protagonists in that comic, and we know the one without the wings is Star Child. And the epilogue mentions 2 protagonists so I feel like there’s a good chance we can assume the other protagonist mentioned in the epilogue is the other protagonist in the comic… That being said, I guess it’s not a smoking gun, just a strong piece of circumstantial evidence.

3 Likes

I see. You’re saying that it would make sense that it’s Dr Funkenstein because he’s on the planet since the prologue mentioned “upon his return…”

3 Likes

According to the insert, they are both Dr. Funkenstein! It says that the t-shirt and the life size stand-up both feature Dr. Funkenstein.

4 Likes

IMO I don’t put a ton of weight into what merch might call them because I feel like the people in charge of marketing the merch are probably not particularly concerned with lore accuracy.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Whoever was in charge of the merch department may not have run things by George, Archie Ivy or whoever was in charge of the plot at the time.

To be fair, I don’t think a costume change is out of the realm of possibilities. Didn’t Starchild change costumes between Funkentelechy and Gloryhallastoopid?

Anyways, I managed to dig up online another image of George in white with a crow and blew it up. Makes me think of the bird caw at the end of Prelude.

3 Likes

Amazing picture. That would make a fantastic piece of merch on its own. I’d love that on a hoody or a tee

2 Likes

FRIENDS / ALLIES

the Three Blind Mice

pet crow (unnamed)

Awwww :unamused:

Funkenstein has also been referenced in other creators’ media. In the 2015 Doctor Who episode “The Zygon Invasion”, the Twelfth Doctor is prompted for a name, and he identifies himself as Dr. Funkenstein.

What what what???

As well as identifying himself as “Dr. Disco”, the Doctor also calls himself “Dr. Funkenstein” after a song of the same nameby the band [Parliament]

1 Like

While I don’t trust the accuracy of a Wiki, especially without citations, there are a few tidbits on there I hadn’t considered.

1 Like

Spurred by the Wiki, I went and reviewed the Placebo Like A Mug animated video and I noticed that around 2:40, when George is in the fur suit descending from the mothership, he is holding the Bop Gun as they narrate the prologue from the comic. Also, ~5:00 Sir Nose refers to the one counting off merely as “the ref.”

3 Likes

I wanted to find out the name of the crow :pensive:

The Dr Who ref. is genuine. I watched the episode. Possibly not that interesting to non uk fans…but, every time the Dr from this series dies they are reborn with a complete new identity. It is only this version, played by Peter Capaldi that (flippantly) identifies as Dr Funkenstein.

And Dr Disco, which would have upset George immensely if he knew :rofl:

1 Like

I think GC in white with the test tubes is Dr Funkenstein, the others are some clones he’s cooked up in the lab. I always thought the double afro puff character as one of the clones called a specially designed “afronaut”. You know, the ones capable of funkatizing galaxies. They might also work as some of his lab tech on some of his experiments with the supergroovealisticprosifunkstication.

4 Likes

The “double afro puff” point makes sense. While not in the 1977 comic, some of the Starchild costumes in the live shows do have the puffs, so I could see it.

1 Like

I mean, does the yellow bird even have a name? I know the pterodactyl-like creature from the Bounce 2 This music video is called “Snagglesnout”.

3 Likes