Conspiracy In The Last Time Zone

Found this new release from The Brooklyn Academy of Music with a reference to someone apparently involved with The Last Time Zone. Interestingly it looks like it’s from 2002.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1vyHY7VZ7psJ:levyarchive.bam.org/Detail/DownloadRepresentation/context/objects/representation_id/97270/id/94348/download/1/version/original+&cd=62&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(bolding added for clarity)

Friday, March 1 at 9pm
My Brother’s Dream
Hosted by: Tracie Morris
BAMcafe’s BCR series concludes with the soulfol rock band, My Brother’s Dream featuring lead vocalist Elisabeth, dnnnmer Damon Mendes, and guitarist Rodman Delcastillo. As individual musicians, the members of My Brother’s Dream are all active in the jazz, rock, pop, and R&B scene . Throughout his career My Brother’s Dream founder Mendes has worked with several stellar musicians including Nona Hendrix, Chaka Kalm, B.B. King, Cameo, and Regina Bell. Lead singer and songwriter Elizabeth has gained critical praise and recognition for her work on NBC’s Late Night with Conan O’Brian. In addition she was the background singer for several artists including Jennifer Lopez, Lauryn Hill, and Celine Dion. Most recently she was a featured soloist and co-writer on George Clinton’s latest CD, The Last Time Zone. Rounding out this rock trio is Delcastillo who cites rock icons Jimi Hendrix , Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen as influences.

I believe the “Elizabeth” they are referring to is Elisabeth Withers, with Damon Mendes & Rodman Del Castillo, who all appear on Elisabeth Withers’s song “Wind Beneath My Wings”, on her album ‎It Can Happen To Anyone (2007).

She’s involved with the song “You Take Me There” by Cacophonic FM or Funk Mob Cacophonique, on their second album (2006). There a quite a few familiar P-Funk names involved with their two albums. Interesting that their first album (1999) had “Puff Slow”/“Inhale Slow”, which was later released on How Late. Again, not sure if “You Take Me There” would have been on C Conspiracy, as it’s not very abrasive or guitar heavy, but dark and jazzy. Maybe on Parliament’s Radio Friendly (1999)?

https://www.discogs.com/release/1557811-Funk-Mob-Cacophonique-Fuck-Jazz-2

Update 1:

There’s some stuff about the album in this video interview with George (starts at 9:37) from (July?) 1999. Mostly the same information, although there are a few additional bits of information. (Text bolded to highlight new or relevant information.)

[10:05] GC: We’ve got a doubled album coming up with Parliament and Funkadelic: one for [the] end of the year, and one for the beginning of the year.

[10:15] GC: We’ve got loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of funk. We’ve got funk laying around and it ain’t doin’ nothing.

[10:20] Interviewer: I talked to Belita, and she said it was jazz-influenced, is [that] right?

[10:25] GC: Oh yeah.

[10:26] Interviewer: So what kind of guest artists do you have?

[10:28] GC: Oh, let’s see, we’ve got, what’s their name[s]- Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Henry Rollin[s], Humpty from Digital Underground, Eminem, Q-Tip, Busta Rhyme, D’Angelo- a whole bunch of folks. It’s a lot of songs on there. […] We’ve got all the funkers that we can grab onto.

[11:07] Interviewer: Yeah. You were talking about, in the Hendrix Magazine, about the Millennium concert-

[11:12] GC: Yeah, in the Fiji Islands.

[…]

[11:29] GC: [W]e had a hassle, like, we just decided we [were] gonna go there and play, and so far it looks like we['re] gonna go there to play.

[11:38] Interviewer: That’s for sure?

[11:39] GC: Well, we’re gonna be there. It’s all been set and everything.

[…]

[11:49] GC: It’ll be the last time zone, and the first one in the new millenium. The last one in this millenium, the first one in the new one.

[…]

[14:00] [T]hen the record label came down and they was screaming about having a single ready.

(Off Topic: “Oh, we’ve got thousands more [unreleased songs.]” […] “We’ve got loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of funk. We’ve got funk laying around and it ain’t doin’ nothing.”)

Update 2:

In the inside of the How Late… album, in the four Pedro Bell panel comic that came with the album, one sub-panel is labeled “Conspiracy C-2000”, and the rest labeled with slight variations: “P-2000”, “Z-2000”, “T-2000”. (See a low quality image on Discogs.)

On Twitter, Jake Austen (editor of Roctober magazine, among other things), posted a print test of one of the sub-panels, the one labeled “C-2000”. In the bottom margin there is the Mammoth Records label logo and their address information. This seems to confirm that the comics were intended for The Last Time Zone.

https://twitter.com/JAKEandRATSO/status/1167445986337337344

2 Likes