Close Encounters of The Third Kind theme, P-Funk remix 1977?

Hello all,

I am reading GC’s bio (for the second time) and he mentions that in 1977 P-Funk was asked to produce a remix for the film, Close Encounters of the Third Kind theme, by one of the producers who was a big fan. GC confirms they recorded the remix but the song was never used in the film. He never mentions the actual title of the song though. He does say that he thought it was good for the Brides of Funkenstein but Neil Bogart thought it was great but too dark and should be for something else. Thus GC parlayed it into a Parlet song. A few questions:

1. What is the actual name of this track?
  2. Was it released as a Parlet track?
  3. Is there a P-Funk or Brides version out there?

I’ve heard it turned into, Funky Kind from T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M. but I just don’t know. Can anyone shed some light on this song? I’d love to hear any version of this song from that
time period. If it was indeed released.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

The first song that comes to mind is War Ship Touchante by The Brides Of Funkenstein. The keyboard parts.

3 Likes

I’ll have a listen specifically for that tonight.
It’s just odd GC never mentions the title of the song after going into detail about the background of it, etc.
Thanks for the tip!

Touchante is an interesting thought.

Here’s the only thing I’ve come across related to the 90s Funky Kind.

3 Likes

Great movie. I was a little kid. When it came out they were playing Bop Gun and Flash Light on the radio and Funkentelechy album dropped a week later. They were already playing Flash Light before the album came out

The Brides Touchante or not. Or whatever it came from. Thanx a mil for sharing this ChrisB!!!

2 Likes

A clip from both. Listen to the piano/keyboard:

John Williams - Theme from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Brides of Funkenstein - War Ship Touchante

4 Likes

I’ve wondered about this mystery myself. My guess it whatever it was, it eventually turned into this song off the Funk or Walk album.

2 Likes

But check it. Because I have been wondering myself too ever since the book dropped. But remember Mike Judge’s animated Tales from the Road?
Well anyway George’s character is in one of the scenes where they are all in an auditorium, film producer’s and all, listening to music from Close Encounter 's. It last for only about 1 second or so. I can hear like it"s glass breaking or something . Really, really funky. And it sounds like something from outta space. You have to really catch it. George"s character is speaking while it’s playing. That’s what got me to thinking maybe that was part of the Close Encounter’s movie. But I have thought about it being Warship Touchante also. But check it out whenever u can. Its very ,very and interesting.

Anyone and everyone who loves the “P” and all other funk bands, or hell music in general, have got to really see these episodes. I not sure. But I think its about 5 episodes in all. Like James Brown, Rick James and of course Parliament Funkadelic. Parliament is episode 2. On Cinemaxx.

My bad. I just checked. It’s season 2. Not season 3. I should have checked first before I put that out.

7 Likes