Who sings lead most often?

Haha yeah and Funkadelic Groupie. She’s a Funkadelic groupayyyy… all she wants to do is wooo meyyyyyy!!!

1 Like

Just discovered ‘I Aint Got Nobody’ on sound cloud. Anyone know when it was recorded? What a tune. :metal:

Do you mean this track?

It appeared on the album/compilation Tamurinillis from 1996. Allegedly it’s an outtake from Osmium, but don’t know if it’s the original version (if it actually is an outtake). That whole album got a lot of newer (re-)produced tracks and is kind of strange.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the one. Haven’t been on sound cloud for an age and just sort of stumbled upon it. YouTube only has a few of the tracks from the album - if you can call it that. The Eddie tune and one other I think.

For me Eddie’s best vocals are Red Hot Momma. When George was on the Questlove podcast he mentioned what a great voice Eddie had.

2 Likes

Had a little think…

Love Friday night - love a Billy and Eddie duet.

However, Let me Be for me. First time I really listened to Chocolate City under the impression that Eddie had long since left the band as erroneously reported by many sources. Felt like an unexpected and hidden treasure as my little Hazel obsession began to grow…

Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I thought it was boss.

Not the only song on CC to feature Eddie’s vocals but one of the only songs where he doesn’t share vocals- the only other song I can think of is Open Our Eyes from the early days.

On the subject of Eddie and CC, in his book, George says Eddie was handling the guitar work, that he was impressed by how Eddie could move from soloist to rhythm guitar so brilliantly. He uses some metaphor from American football, something about moving from quarter back to… I dunno, some other player…I forget now :smiley:

Is that Eddie on guitar on CC, or is George actually talking about Up for the Downstroke and got his albums mixed up?

3 Likes

Yeah I would love to know that also, especially since there is some really juicy guitar going on on songs like “Ride On” and “Side Effects” but I can’t specifically place it as Eddie like I can some of the playing on Up For the Downstroke. George says in the book that it’s Eddie all over CC but why not give him credit then? Also I still have no idea who plays horns on both of those albums as Fred and Maceo have repeatedly said it wasn’t them…

1 Like

If he was there for vocals you’d assume he’d play some guitar.

Eddie sharing vocals and Bootsy donating the bridge from ‘What so never the dance”

2 Likes

I know this is a pretty old thread so my apologies if this is all old news to you by now, but I just wanted to mention a few prominent vocal parts of Junie’s that have really made an impression on me. I’ll give timestamps for the parts that stand out to me.

Parliament - May We Bang You @ 2:25
Parliament - Colour Me Funky @ 2:51
Junie Morrison - Rappin’ About Rappin’ (from Junie 5) @ 2:02 and especially 2:30
Junie Morrison - Love Has Taken Me Over (original Bread Alone version) @ 1:10, also just the entire song
Parliament - The Motor-Booty Affair @ 0:49
Funkadelic - Groovallegiance @ 1:13 and 2:10

And then he also does a lot of humorous “spoken word” vocals on songs like:

Ohio Players - Funky Worm
Junie Morrison - Granny’s Funky Rolls Royce
Parliament - The Motor-Booty Affair (most of the song, most notably “Howard Codsell” and “there goes Moby Dick!”)
Parliament - Deep (doing silly voices all over, but you can hear his more natural speaking voice around 7:30 “excuse me sir” “could you point George Clinton out to me?”)
Funkadelic - Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad (around 9:13 “which one is Geoge Clinton?”, a joke shared by the above song)

7 Likes

Thanks, I will check those timestamps :wink:. Love Has Taken Me Over from Bread Alone is great. Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Yeah its Maceo

What songs from the 70s did George sing on?

I have a hard time picking him out, other than on the slow, spooky intros red hot mama, maggot brain, etc)

1 Like

He’s all over Up For The Down Stroke (the album), like singing lead on The Goose, I Just Got Back and All Your Goodies Are Gone and maybe some other track.

Examples of other tracks he’s also singing lead on are Undisco Kidd, Soul Mate and Let’s Take It To The Stage (though he’s also talking a lot on that one).

1 Like

One Nation Under a Groove, If You Got Funk You Got Style, and Soulmate are also some good examples of George’s lead singing songs

5 Likes

Holly wants to go to California is not :slight_smile:

Here’s a rough approximation of the highest charting P-Funk songs of all-time, based on US chart success, and the R&B chart, generally favoring the former over the latter.

Flash light (16, 1)
Give up the funk (15, 5)
One Nation (28, 1)
Knee deep (77, 1)
Aqua boogie (89, 1)
Up for the down stroke (63, 10)
I’ll bet you (63, 22)
Atomic dog (101, 1)
Bop gun (102, 14)
Do fries go with that shake (-,13)
I wanna know if it’s good for you (81, 27)
I got a thing (80, 30)
Chocolate city (94,24)
Dr funkenstein (102, 43)
Agony of defeet (-,7)
Theme from the black hole (-,8)
If anybody gets funked up (-,13)
Nubian nut (-,15)
Loopzilla (-,19)
Do that stuff (-,22)
Mothership connection (-, 26)
Standing on the verge (-, 27)
Funkentelechy (-,27)
P.funk (-, 33)

And a few others that are generally more well known than their chat success would indicate:

Gamin on ya
Cosmic slop
Cholly
Red hot mama
Loose booty

… Who was lead singer on these tracks in particular?

Cosmic Slop is Gary lead vocal as is Cholly.

Gamin on Ya is Glen - and with Gary on Come in out of the rain bridge, I think.

Red Hot Mama original is George and then George and Eddie on the remake.

Loose Booty is George mostly with some wailing from Eddie.

As an aside, I love George when he shares the vocals and adds an extra layer of funky weirdness. When he has total lead, not so much - although there are exceptions.

Eddie’s home was the instrumental to Ruth Copelands don’t you wish you had but on the tamirinillis version they omitted the band and they had studio musicians overdubb their parts

They kept Eddie’s guitar on there just like they kept Eddie’s guitar on I ain’t got nobody and as good as I can feel the kepgt Bernies organ but thry seened tk delete whatever billy, tawl, and tiki di and replaced them

1 Like

Here’s a thing - been pondering this for a good while now - can anyone pick out Shady’s voice on any songs. Does he get a line of his own, ever?

2 Likes